3G or not 3G
GerIRL2dot0

Hi,  my Tour 9630 only ever displays 1XEV for the data connection.  A co-worker has a Droid and his phone displays 3G, right next to my BlackBerry.  Does this matter?  Am I getting 3G?  If not what can I do to get 3G?

We both get between 3 and 4 bars of reception strength in our office.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: 3G or not 3G
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

You have a 3G connection.  The older OS's displayed the connection as 1EVX.  I know that all phones with OS 5.x will now display that connection as 3G.  I am assuming that your Tour has not been upgraded to the new 5.x OS.  If you did this, then you would get the 3G connection displayed.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

jnestell wrote:

.  I know that all phones with OS 5.x will now display that connection as 3G.  I am assuming that your Tour has not been upgraded to the new 5.x OS.  If you did this, then you would get the 3G connection displayed.

Hey,

The latest OS release by Verizon, at least for the Tour, shows the data connection as 1XEV, not as 3G.  However, you are correct in that 1XEV is the same as 3G. 

Doc

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

GerIRL2dot0 wrote:

Hi,  my Tour 9630 only ever displays 1XEV for the data connection.  A co-worker has a Droid and his phone displays 3G, right next to my BlackBerry.  Does this matter?  Am I getting 3G? 

This is exactly why VZW changed how the icon looks. People were under the impression they weren't getting 3G because they didn't see a 3G symbol. Silly noobs!  :smileytongue:

Further, to clarify, EVDO is your 3G broadband signal. The 1X is the 2G signal used for voice/text.

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

My bad.  I assumed that any 5.x OS would show the 3G instead of the 1EVX but you know what they say when you assume, you make {word filter avoidance}
out of "u" and me. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

If I remember correctly, there was one version of the 5.0 OS, 5.0.0.230, that displayed the connection as 3G.  That was the only OS that labeled the connection that way, that I know of.  I think some of the hybrid OS versions floating around labeled the 1XEV as 3G.  Anyways, just a little trivia information. 

Doc

0 Likes