5.0 update hangs
jdj522

I attempted to run the update and the process has apparently hung up at step 11 of 12: Wait for device initialization. The system has been sitting there for close to 40 minutes now with no progress. The phone is still attached via usb and I can sign onto the the phone and everything so I know its there and windows does see the device as connected. Problem is, until the process completes, all of the data which was backed up in step 1 will not be restored and that, frighteningly includes just over 250 contacts.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-jay

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 5.0 update hangs
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

Any change or did you end up having to reset it all?

0 Likes
ibby135

connected and rebooted. I had to go back to the back up section and it had saved my contacts

0 Likes
Bladewind

I am also having this problem, made it through the first 10 steps without a problem, now it's been hanging for at least an hour.

0 Likes
danstar25

I am having the same problems. Tried updating thru DM, tried loader.exe , tried the over the net thru bb website. At the initialing stage the red led comes on and it starts an endless reboot loop. I have tried everything i know possible, including wiping the device. I have tried all this on 4 seperate pc's.

I have no problems downgrading and reloading 4.7 back on and recovering my device. I spoke with tech support last night for a long time and they have heard of this issue but do not have a solution at this time.

I was told to stick with 4.7 until a solution can be found by BB. This is frustrating to say the least. I wished they would just replace my current storm 9530 with another that has the 5.0 preloaded on it.....

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

danstar25 wrote:

I am having the same problems. Tried updating thru DM, tried loader.exe , tried the over the net thru bb website. At the initialing stage the red led comes on and it starts an endless reboot loop. I have tried everything i know possible, including wiping the device. I have tried all this on 4 seperate pc's.

I have no problems downgrading and reloading 4.7 back on and recovering my device. I spoke with tech support last night for a long time and they have heard of this issue but do not have a solution at this time.

I was told to stick with 4.7 until a solution can be found by BB. This is frustrating to say the least. I wished they would just replace my current storm 9530 with another that has the 5.0 preloaded on it.....

So, correct me if I am wrong, but you have taken your phones back to the factory settings and still cannot get the update to load?  If you have tried this on 4 different computers, were they all on the same network, or 4 different computers in different locations?

0 Likes
danstar25

2 of the 4 were on the same network with 1 having vista and the other xp pro.

The other 2, both xp pro, were on completely different networks from themselves and the other 2. So, it was 3 separate networks.

Yes I took it back to factory settings and it still will not load. Hangs everytime at the initializing the device part, the red led comes on and it immediately goes into the endless boot sequence and never stops until I unplug and pull the battery.

If I try and load any other os thru DM besides 5.0 it cruises through this part with no problems. Then I restore and I am good.

As soon as I attempt to load 5.0 in any way, it bricks my device. Then I unplug, pull batt, reinstall 4.7 and backup.

The verizon tech on the phone suggested that I try pulling out the usb just before the initializing the device part, then trying a restore but it didnt work either....

Edit: I forgot to include that if I leave the phone plugged in DM will error out and show

"unable to reconnect to a multi stage load operation"

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

Do you have slacker radio or any additional apps installed?  There has to be something on the phone that's hanging.  Obviously it's not the computers or the networks.  I need more information on what's on the phone, apps, memory card etc...

0 Likes