I have a BB Bold 9650, that is under 1 year old. I am a heavy user of the device with approximately 10,000 contacts.
I get approximately 200 personal e-mails each day with another 50-100 business emails.
I often have 2-10 appointments on my calendar each day.
Often when I try to make a call or send a text my device freezes.
There is no a recourse other than removing my hard case, which Is always difficult, as it should be and pulling the battery.
Usually this occurs when I am in a hurry, have my hands full, carrying a full briefcase that might weigh 20-40 pounds and I am in suit and tie.LOL!
I pull the battery, and reset the device which then takes anywhere from 5-8 minutes (without exaggeration) to reset.
I have called support and the only suggestion that they can give me is:
1) getting a like new device..Why should I need to do that, my device at less than 1 year old is like new
2) wiping the entire device and start from scratch..with all of my items in my BB I am afraid of possibly losing something or everything.
3) Placing an insurance claim... Now that is just stupid
My wife and children have a Iphone, as well as a droid and the problems that I experience are none of theirs...
My case is getting old and replacing the battery for another 365 days or 1 years until I can upgrade is painful.
I am considering canceling my account, paying the cancellation fees and moving to another carrier.If I can not get resolution.
There is a solution, just need to figure what the problem is. With that many contacts and email I'm concerned that your free memory may be too low, especially if you don't delete your emails regularly.. If you have Universal Search enabled search for Storage (or go to Options, Device, Storage) and see what your Application Storage Free Space is. What OS are you running? What 3rd party apps do you have? Post back the answers and we can go from there.
I'm having the same problems. I don't have quite that many contacts, but I get just as many emails. My storage option says I have mass storage mode currently in use. I think I need to switch that to media card. I have a 2 GB card currently, probably need to back everything up to the desktop and add more. However, I am one click away from switching to the iphone, given the recent issues with RIM. I got a bad feeling. A friend bought the new Bold 9930, he sounds like he is standing in the middle of the highway everytime I talk to him. He doesn't know if the microphone is set too high or what.
Here is my experience and solutionreference rebooting:
"I went through a several month period of time where my new BB 9650 would reboot every couple of hours. This went on for 4 months. Here is what I did to troubleshoot the problem (may be the same thing the OP is going through):
May be a corrupt 3rd party app or setting
1. Backup with BB DM. Reload Verizon OS without any 3rd party apps. Also, do not restore any preferences, options or settings, just the important stuff like emails, SMS, calendar and address book.
2. Copy all SD card files/folders to your laptop. Reformat the SD card and copy everything back.
3. May be a corrupt database. Create a free gmail account and add it to your BB. Go into your gmail setup on your BB and tell it to sync contacts and calendar. Once all your contacts and calendar are on the web version of gmail, turn off the sync on on your BB. Open DM and select Delete Data to delete all Calendar and Contact information. Once this is done, your address book and calendar should be empty. Next turn on the sync for both Contacts and Calendar in the gmail setup on your BB. This may take up to 30 minutes for everything to download. Once that is done, do a battery pull and *228.
You need to use gmail to restore your contacts and calendar because it seems that backing up and restoring with DM just puts the same corrupt database back on your BB. Go figure?!?
Step 3. is what finally fixed my 9650. It seems I had a corrupt calendar. Hope this helps."
I could have written this post. I have had the BB Bold since August 2011 and nothing but problems, the past few weeks have been a nightmare. I have been in to Verizon three times in three months. I too would like to pitch it and get an I-phone. I have a friend who says the same thing, that the reception is terrible. Mine freezes every hour on the hour and usually multiple times. Completely worthless piece of junk and I'm frustrated to the max. I never had any problems with my BB Curve, that's why I upgraded to the Bold when my Curve archaic roller ball finally gave out. Wish I would have gone with the I phone. This is ridiculous and I can't conduct business.
I have a Bold 9630. Haven't had time to sit down and search what is wrong until this holiday weekend. I take the battery out on a regular basis and then as someone mentioned above, takes like 5-8 minutes to start up again. I have the hard case so it isn't easy to just pop the battery in and out. A few weeks ago in frustration I took it into Verizon and they re-set something and mentioned that BBerry notorious for outages, etc. Thanks, Verizon, now you tell me. I had a Curve before this and never any problems. Since I'm brand new here, can you tell me how to get actual Verizon Tech Support to respond to a plea for help? Thank you!