BB Maps on 9550
AzCellUser

Can anyone provide information on whats up with BB Maps.  I have a 9550 and a 9630, when initiating BB Maps it searches for satellites forever and ever, eventually I shut it down.  Now google maps starts right up and finds my location and then provides me directions.  Did RIM stop BB Maps service?  Did big Red put the kobosh on it so we would have to use BING maps?  Anyone that can help let me know.  Also, I have checked to ensure it is activated and is the default map and all that other stuff.  

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: BB Maps on 9550
blamiya1
Contributor - Level 3

The blackberry maps service does require:

• A wireless data Service plan from your wireless service provider
  • BlackBerry® Device Software v4.1 or later

Be sure that the software on your blackberry is updated to the most recent version. This could be the reason of the difficulty that you have been experiencing with the Google maps service.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

AzCellUser wrote:

Can anyone provide information on whats up with BB Maps.  I have a 9550 and a 9630, when initiating BB Maps it searches for satellites forever and ever, eventually I shut it down.  Now google maps starts right up and finds my location and then provides me directions.  Did RIM stop BB Maps service?  Did big Red put the kobosh on it so we would have to use BING maps?  Anyone that can help let me know.  Also, I have checked to ensure it is activated and is the default map and all that other stuff.  

Hi,

Go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS.  The 9550 has 5.0 OS software, so you should have the following settings:  GPS data source--Device GPS.  GPS Services--Location On.  Location Aiding--Enabled.  Press the Menu key and save.  Pull the battery and reboot.  Then try BB Maps and press the Menu key and Start GPS Navigation.  When you do this, try being next to a window or maybe even outside, just to make sure you are getting a good signal.  You have to lock into at least 3 satellites for it to get a lock with a good signal. 

Doc

0 Likes
AzCellUser

Thanks Doc, had already completed that but did it again.  Went outside to ensure zero interference and tada!  Nothing, still searching for satellites.  Maybe the ISS crashed into one of them or something?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

AzCellUser wrote:

Thanks Doc, had already completed that but did it again.  Went outside to ensure zero interference and tada!  Nothing, still searching for satellites.  Maybe the ISS crashed into one of them or something?

Hi,

All I can tell you is that the GPS feature is not blocked for BB Maps.  Keep trying by pressing Start GPS on the menu within BB Maps and stopping GPS.  Toggle back and forth, perhaps forcing it to get a signal.  Maybe that might work.  By the way, you are not on an Enterprise plan, are you?  If so, it may be blocked by your IT department.

Doc

0 Likes