Does anyone know when RIM will be releasing the new OS for Blackberry Tour 9630's? (I should clarify that there is a release out, but it was pulled by Verizon due to difficulties people had upgrading.)
I'm particularly interested because it is supposed to contain a fix that will improve the sound quality for voice connections via bluetooth.
Anxiously awaiting news..... Thanks!
Yes there have been .42,.53 and two OS 5.0.191 and 5.0.290 leaks. I have ran all of them and anything over .40 seems to have helped the muffled sound issue and signal strength. I dont know the real reason why they pulled the .53 OS, but I can tell you I am glad they did. That OS had problems ( lockups)and was the slowest OS I have seen yet for the Tour. The .5.0 OS's are def the best. Super fast and the browser is smokin compared to 4.7 browser. My assumption is that they pulled it because the 5.0 OS rollout is close and is much better than the 4.7's.
Should I try to load one of the 5.0 leaks? Or wait for the official rollout? Is there any estimate on when the official 5.0 release will be out?
I'm anxious to try and load an update since the sound is a real issue. I use my Tour for work and have to return calls from the car quite often. Using the bluetooth hands-free connection built into my car used to work perfectly with my old Pearl, but I've been struggling since I got my Tour.
Thanks for your feedback!
I would wait until an official release by Verizon is issued. Leaked OS' can be buggy and might make things worse. Also, I would read my warranty as it might affect it. I don't think it will be long until an official release for an update will be out.
Leaked OS can be buggy ,fortunately the newer OS leaks have been better than there predecessors. Only ever do any of these things if you have researched and know what you are doing. I was just giving information on your question.
The last OS "release" was pulled because it wasn't supposed to be released in the first place. It wasn't release thru any of VZW's channel's, it was only available via desktop manager. So someone at RIM hit the "ON" switch too soon. But I agree, wait for the offical release from VZW, should be out in the next couple of weeks.
Do you really think that our warranty could be voided for installing a leaked OS? It would be the same across the board for all BB's if that is the case. I have to say that never occurred to me. It would seem like if there became a problem with a leaked OS, to just wipe it and re install the last one released using Desktop mgr.?
I was fortunate enough to jump on the .153 release before it was pulled.
This was my first experience with an OS upgrade. It went pretty well, but I did have to reinstall some apps that didn't make the transition. An inconvenience, but nothing major, like losing data that wasn't backed up.
My first hope, that of having a better trackball experience, was not realized. Futhermore, the unit seemed a bit stodgier, taking longer for apps to start after they had been selected. It seemed as though the performance was slightly decreased over what had been on the unit previously. So I was disappointed and minorly annoyed, knowing that 5.0 is supposed to be coming out fairly soon and would probably blow this release away.
I didn't test out the Bluetooth for a couple of weeks, but when I did, the party to whom I was speaking said that they had no problem hearing me! Wow.... That was great news. So the .153 upgrade did address this huge issue, and I was glad that I'd made the transition.
Now....if they can only get the trackball working better with 5.0. Is that too much to ask? I hope not.