Battery drain on Bold 9650
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure if I have a question - more of a desire to share what happened and to see if anyone has had a similar experience and find out if I can prevent it from happening again.

I have the BB Bold 9650; it was charged and working normally on Saturday. My husband and I were on our way out to a dinner, so I put my phone on silent mode for the evening.  I didn't open anything, or view any messages, just changed the sound profile to silent.  I also hit the lock button on top (which I typically do when I carry it in my purse to prevent unintended button presses) An hour or so later I pulled it out to check for messages, and it felt unusually warm. I pressed the lock button, the battery icon was red, and I got a warning that the battery was depleted and it was shutting off.  The phone then proceeded to shut down and I left it that way till we got home.

When we got home I plugged it in to charge - the LED came on, solid red (no flashing) for awhile, then I got the battery icon on the screen for awhile.  It then rebooted, I left it charging overnight, and it seems to be working normally since then.

My guess is something got opened somehow, and was running in the background, and depleted the battery.  I'd like to figure out what, and how it got going.  Data usage for that day:

03/17/201211:59 PMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

1498.52 KB

03/17/20128:43 PMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

14.97 KB

03/17/20128:39 PMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

0.70 KB

03/17/20128:14 PMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

31.42 KB

03/17/20128:14 PMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

0.24 KB

03/17/20128:12 PMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

6.57 KB

03/17/20128:06 PMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

9.14 KB

03/17/20128:04 PMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

5.87 KB

03/17/20128:01 PMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

6.66 KB

03/17/201210:09 AMUNLIMITED BLACKBERRY

826.48 KB

Which is strange.  There's a few entries prior to the 10:09 am, then nothing until 8 pm, yet it was receiving mail and I was using it all day for texts and calls (and I know they won't show up on the data side, but it was working normally as far as I can tell).  It was about 5:30 or so when I put it into silent mode and it could have been 8:00 when I checked it for messages - it was no later than that.  I definitely was NOT using it between 5:30 and my message check when it shut down.  The hour or so of little data transfers between 8 and 9 baffle me because it was totally shut down at that point.  The midnight (11:59 pm) data would correspond to the time I plugged it in to recharge after we got home. 

Any clues??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Battery drain on Bold 9650
Not applicable

SuzyQ,

Good morning!! I'm sorry that the battery died so quickly, especially with the unusual data records. Is the battery still draining quickly and/or getting over heated? Please send me a direct message if this continues so I can assist.

Thank you,

AdamE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone has been working normally since the recharge.  I wish I knew what caused it to drain so quickly and completely!  But it seems to have recovered and is working fine as far as I can tell.

I posted primarily to see if anyone else had a clue what could have happened.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

The only other explanation I can think of for the battery drain is if you were in a weak signal area and it was constantly searching, which has drained my battery.

StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I tend to agree with SydneyK on this issue.  I have had similar experiences with my Bold.  At work, I put it in Silent mode and leave it in a leather holster pouch on my side (as I don't carry a purse).  The building sometimes blocks the network signal and makes it weak and the phone will go into a search mode trying to find a stronger source for a signal.  In doing this, it causes the device to draw a lot of power from the battery, and can cause the device to become warm.  This would also happen to my Droid 3 device when I was at work.  It is just a signal issue, not a problem with your device. 

I'm glad things seem to be back to normal for you with your Bold.

Doc

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

StreetDocRN wrote:

I tend to agree with SydneyK on this issue ...  It is just a signal issue, not a problem with your device. 

OK--I'll accept that as the explanation.  It's a location we've been to several times for dinner events, but I suppose tower configurations could have changed.  I've not seen my battery drain so completely and so quickly before, so I was concerned.  Maybe instead I should consider myself lucky that my signal is normally strong and consistent so this hasn't ever happened?!?  Smiley Happy  Thanks for the feedback!