Best International call rate
susja
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

I'm looking for a good advice of using my BB Tour 9630 in Eastern Europe.

I know that my phone support Global Service. I'm going to travel to Latvia for a one week. VW Customer service said me that they'll charge $2.89 per minute. In case I'll try to use other third party application like Skype they'll charge me $64 for data package usage.

Does anyone has any experience how I could use my phone ( only to make a call ) not paying that drastic rates?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Best International call rate
Matt702
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunetly I believe you are stuck. Verizon does have a package for people that need less then 21 days out of country and it is a little cheeper. The Global set up works great, I am currently in Iraq and my phone works in some of the most god forsaken desert areas, but it can get extreamly expensive if you dont watch your use.

The only other thing I would suggest is having your phone unlocked before you go. Unlocking allows for other service provides SIM cards to work in your otherwise "Locked to Verizon Phone" Either call Support and they will talk you through it or go to a dealer and they will do it for you. Once unlocked, you can purchase a prepaid SIM card when you get to your destination. They will have kiosks that sell them as soon as you get off the plane. It is still rather expensive to call statside but local calls will be much cheeper. When you come back to the states just pop your other SIM back in. NOTE:With the new SIM your # is not the same. I hope this helps.

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Best International call rate
Matt702
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunetly I believe you are stuck. Verizon does have a package for people that need less then 21 days out of country and it is a little cheeper. The Global set up works great, I am currently in Iraq and my phone works in some of the most god forsaken desert areas, but it can get extreamly expensive if you dont watch your use.

The only other thing I would suggest is having your phone unlocked before you go. Unlocking allows for other service provides SIM cards to work in your otherwise "Locked to Verizon Phone" Either call Support and they will talk you through it or go to a dealer and they will do it for you. Once unlocked, you can purchase a prepaid SIM card when you get to your destination. They will have kiosks that sell them as soon as you get off the plane. It is still rather expensive to call statside but local calls will be much cheeper. When you come back to the states just pop your other SIM back in. NOTE:With the new SIM your # is not the same. I hope this helps.

Matt

0 Likes