BlackBerry 9650 Software Update
larco

DO NOT INSTALL THE UPDATE!  You will not be able to access the set up for your email accounts.  You will get major latency too.

Also, when you attempt to exit the set up feature, the phone will lock up and you must re-power to exit.

If you call technical support they will want to configure the email accounts on some BlackBerry web page, but that will not solve the problem of using the set up features for your email accounts.

The software upgrade is a major QC/QA blunder for RIM.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BlackBerry 9650 Software Update
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 9650 OS 6 update eventually did work for me, following these steps by   (THANK YOU!)

Here are the steps I recommend following:

After you have downloaded and installed the OS from Verizon (it gets installed on your computer - and you use BB Swiss Army Knife to install it on your phone.   (http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx ), the fast OS install would be:

1. Back up with DM

2. Back up 3rd party apps with BBAK

3. Using BBSAK, install OS (I first used DM, and got the email problem; 2nd time with BBSAK went smoothly, and faster than DM)

4. Restore 3rd party apps using BBSAK Install CODs

5. Restore settings using DM

Several reboots will occur in 1. thru 5. above...let them finish...don't worry about any system messages until after 5.

JB

I should have listed to SoccerRef and used BBSAK to install the first time; it was faster than DM and it worked. I did need to go in and reset passwords for my email accounts, but they were there and I could get into the set up just fine.

Good luck.

0 Likes
larco

Update:  I use a MacBook so there is no way for me to connect a BlackBerry to the MacBook (unless I purchase a $100 OS upgrade from Apple).  I have never heard of BBSAK or BBSwissarmyknife.  But, if they are BlackBerry software products, then I would avoid them entirely.

The main problem with the update was the "after" scheme is not allowing me to use the setup functions for email accounts.  When I select the setup icon, click, and then select Internet email accounts, the device either returns to the main setup menu or the device locks up (I must cycle power to get control of the phone).

It took three calls to tech support and each time I was told that there was a solution, but no solution was ever offered.  The end result is that I have to use a web site (www.blackberry.com/go/vzw) to administer my email accounts (I use two).  I have to abandon using the setup features on the phone for all email administration.

So, my email accounts are working, but I am limited to admin tasks from the above BlackBerry web site.

My ultimate recommendation is to avoid purchasing or using the BlackBerry 9650 all together and seriously consider a iPhone or Droid phone.  There are several reasons, but Google synch will work much better, the phone will operate faster, there are many more apps, there is no latency, and, if the phone is 4G, you will be able to actually surf the web (something the 9650 can barely perform; most of the time it cannot).

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

The problem is not with the 9650...it is trying to update software OTA instead of from a PC. Everyone in the thread that updated OTA has problems and installing the software via DM and BBSAK (not a RIM product) is the solution, imho.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

SoccerRef wrote:

Installing the software via DM and BBSAK (not a RIM product) is the solution, imho.

I heartily concur.    - it sounds like you'd be more satisfied with an iPhone ...

0 Likes
savannaspott

I'm having the same problem. I went to the site you provided and tried to create an account but after entering my PIN and IMEI it said this:

Cannot create account: 

This action cannot be performed using a browser on a computer. Use the email setup application on your BlackBerry® smartphone to create an account.

Help?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Use the browser on your BB to access the website.  Or, if you have access to a PC  (I didn't realize you couldn't use DM or BBSAK on a Mac - not that familiar with Mac)  then use the steps outlined above or in a couple of other threads recently to install the new OS. 

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

You really need to find a PC and install the OS that way. OTA and/or via DM is very problematic. When you go into email setup, you should only have to log into one email address...even if it asks you to log in to a 2d one, just escape out and when you go back in to email setup you will notice that they are all set up (except Gmail, if you use it to sync calendar or contacts).

0 Likes
CaroSue

Oh so true . . . I have been a true blue blackberry user for several years now - but this is way out of line!  I was able to get tech support to get my email up and running, only to find my calender no longer syncs.  The main reason I choose Blackberry is my business has me out of the office as much as in, and I need to schedule work both on my phone and in my office.  I thought maybe I'd find an answer to this problem in the discussions, but it seems the discussions are only for people who have time and inclination to go through a bunch of steps, are familiar with all the acronyms - I just want my blackberry to work as it always has in the past . . . new operating system software should IMPROVE not UNDERMINE the use of the device!

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Not sure how many times CaroSue has updated his/her OS, but it is not uncommon to have to use these programs to restore settings and 3rd party apps. It is a multi-step process. The easiest thing to do if you're not having problems with your BB is...don't update your OS. Many BB users go through the life of their BB with the original OS.

0 Likes