BlackBerry Bold 9650 latest version of OS 6/ Constant reboot
MattTR

Hi,

I have had my Blackberry bold since they first came onto the market. I updated wirelessly when the OS 6 first came out. Just recently i started having random reboots. It is now at the point that i cannot use my browser, media player, camera, or make a phone call for very long before A) the phone shuts off and comes back on with no battery power basically when it was at full charge, or B) the phone constantly keeps restarting and doesnt come back on (this is what is occurring now.). I was wondering if anyone ahd encountered something like this yet. The phone will not come on now, it just resets constantly. ive tried the battery pull, plugging it in and neither work. this is my main and only real means of communicating with my parents as i am in college. if anyone could help it would be much appreciated. and as i said before this just recently started happening and i do not know why.

Thanks, MattTR

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BlackBerry Bold 9650 latest version of OS 6/ Constant reboot
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Just last night my phone spontaneously rebooted (first time EVER!) and I've been running OS 6 since July without a problem. It seems to be fine today - and I really don't know what to tell you....check mobile network settings - mine are set to automatic, and 1XEV (one time I was having connection issues the network technology was set to Global for some reason - set it back to 1XEV and it was fine).

Maybe it needs a new battery? Just throwing ideas out.....
0 Likes
Fisha

Matt or Suzy- any luck with this? Funny, this is the 3rd post I've found here, one person w/a Tour and one w/a Curve. Same issue.  I also have the Bold 9650 and my phone started doing this about 3 weeks ago, same time that you first posted this.  VZW sent me a new phone and it's still doing it. What gives?!?

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Here is my experience and solution reference rebooting:

"I went through a several month period of time where my new BB 9650 would reboot every couple of hours. This went on for 4 months. Here is what I did to troubleshoot the problem (may be the same thing the OP is going through):

May be a corrupt 3rd party app or setting

1. Backup with BB DM. Reload Verizon OS without any 3rd party apps. Also, do not restore any preferences, options or settings, just the important stuff like emails, SMS, calendar and address book.

Still rebooting/freezing

2. Copy all SD card files/folders to your laptop. Reformat the SD card and copy everything back.

Still rebooting/freezing

3. May be a corrupt database. Create a free gmail account and add it to your BB. Go into your gmail setup on your BB and tell it to sync contacts and calendar. Once all your contacts and calendar are on the web version of gmail, turn off the sync on on your BB. Open DM and select Delete Data to delete all Calendar and Contact information. Once this is done, your address book and calendar should be empty. Next turn on the sync for both Contacts and Calendar in the gmail setup on your BB. This may take up to 30 minutes for everything to download. Once that is done, do a battery pull and *228.

You need to use gmail to restore your contacts and calendar because it seems that backing up and restoring with DM just puts the same corrupt database back on your BB. Go figure?!?

Step 3.  is what finally fixed my 9650. It seems I had a corrupt calendar. Hope this helps."

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fisha wrote:

Matt or Suzy- any luck with this?

Fisha,

My Bold is OK - since that one incident I mentioned where it rebooted on its own it has behaved totally normally.  Once in awhile it will get sluggish - delays in typing, slow response to apps opening,etc, but I do a QuickPull reset (effectively, a battery pull) and it's fine again.  I haven't had any more spontaneous reboots.

As far as Soccer Ref's experience, it sounds like he found the "rogue" app, or the app that was causing the problem, and fixed it.  It can be a tedious process if you have a lot of apps (and I seem to be collecting more and more as time goes on!!) I back up automatically once a week using BlackBerry Protect and luckily have not had occasion to  rely on a backup to get me back in order.

Good luck to you.....

0 Likes
Fisha
Thanks but I already use gmail to sync everything, not DM. That's what they tried to tell me at the store tonight, that my DM backup was corrupt. So now they tried a new battery and they did a full wipe of my phone in the store. Reformatted SD card. I had it for 2 hours & it rebooted itself again. Only thing I did was try and take a picture, nothing else. No apps reloaded.
0 Likes