BlackBerry Bold on the fritz
tsg22

my blackberry bold has been acting up. Whenever i attempt to make a phone call, it begins to make the call and then the call fails. I am also having sporadic luck in sending texts and emails out from my phone. I have rebooted and swiped my phone as well. I have cleared everything and backed it up and then loaded all of my data back to the phone. It worked for a few phone calls and then it went back to the normal situation. I took it to a store to see if someone could help me with the problem, but they were unable to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BlackBerry Bold on the fritz
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

A few questions - how old is the Bold?  Which model (the 9650, or 9930?)  Have you added any apps or updated any apps recently?  I have loaded a game or two that I quickly removed because they produced some strange behavior that went away once I deleted the game.

Another suggestion is to dial *228 option 1 to update the network connection; sometimes that will get things working more smoothly again.

Post back with an update so we can further troubleshoot if needed.

0 Likes
tsg22

i have the 9650 bold, it is almost 2 years old. i have downloaded some apps and i think you are accurate about certain apps creating problems. i thought with the security swipe would help me to remove that info and allow everything to work again, but it was unsuccessful. I tried to call *228, but i did not do it right away when the phone was actually working. I tried this and eventually the phone was not working by the time that i did. i am going to try and swipe the phone again and see if i can get the phone working to call the *228 number again.

If i can not make a successful outgoing call and removing the apps has not helped either is there anything else that i can do? Is it possible that the phone is just worn down and burnt out?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It could be the phone is old and wearing out but I don't think so - my Bold 9650 is a refurbished (Certified pre-owned) that I bought in January 2011.  I'm not really rough on the phone (other than a dunk in the washing machine recently, but it did survive that - I am amazed!!)

What OS are you running?  I'm on 6.0.0.719, so if you are running anything less than that, try updating to the latest OS.  Also, check your mobile network options, Data services ON, Network Selection mode: Automatic, Network Technology 1XEV (not global).  It seems at one point my phone had reset to Global and it didn't work well at all -

Report back and if it 's still glitchy, we can compare apps, setup, and see if we can nail down what's causing the problem.

0 Likes
tsg22

i am on the same OS as you. i updated that the other day. i just switched it from Global to 1XEV. i am still having no luck. i just restarted it again. I really cannot think of anything else to do. i have hardly any apps on my phone. i only have the ones that come with the phone at this point. Let me know if you think of anything else. I appreciate the help

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tsg22, I see you've tried a number of troubleshooting steps to try and resolve this problem with your Blackberry Bold!  I would love to help!

SuzyQ, you've made some great suggestions!  tsg22, I would like to ask if you're experiencing these problems at a specific location only, or is this happening everywhere?  When you experience the calling problem, does the device show a 1X or 3G signal?  And if so, how many bars of signal does the device show at this point?  Does your device have any physical or liquid damages?  Let me know so I can further assist.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes