BlackBerry browser - recent change to Verizon home page
Zander

I'm looking for any information you may have about the recent change to the Verizon home page as it is displayed on a BlackBerry device. Until about a week ago the home page, in my opinion, had a decent amount of useful information that the user could customize in terms of delivery and source (weather, news, financial markets, etc). Now BlackBerry users are stuck with only what Verizon pushes to the home page with almost no ability to customize it. Yesterday I went to my local Verizon Wireless store and confirmed that all other brands of smartphones still have the user friendly home page, but all BlackBerry phones are now stuck with this useless home page configuration. I used to be able to see everything I wanted with one screen tap and a little scrolling. Now it takes 13 screen taps and a lot of scrolling. Any thoughts? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BlackBerry browser - recent change to Verizon home page
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

The home page I have for my Blackberry is set to http://converge.vzwwap.com   Is that the page you have? 

Doc

0 Likes
Zander

Yes, I have the same home page. To be more specific about the changes that recently occurred, I'll list a few. In the old version, with one "click", the user could see CNBC market data, weather for your city, news from a source you chose (USA Today, NYT, Wall St Journal, Reuters, etc), sports (exactly what you wanted, ex. NFL, NHL, golf, tennis, but not NBA if you don't want it). The user could also hide certain content and arrange where it displayed on the old version. You can still get most of this but now it's multiple pages and clicks and scrolling instead of all being conveniently located in one place, and very little customizing functionality now. 

0 Likes
dgmock
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm really surprised that more people haven't griped about this unexpected (and, IMO, unwanted) change in the VZW homepage layout. I really miss the financial data. Now, the only way I can find out how the markets are doing is to go to somewhere like CNN.  So I'm just changing my homepage to something I like, and can configure it to suit my preferences (now that's impossible).  You would think a company like VZW would provide their customers a more flexible homepage interface!

0 Likes
Zander

Thanks for your reply and I agree about the general lack of response to this dilemma. For financial data only, I'd strongly suggest MarketWatch, FoxBusiness seems more comprehensive than CNN for business news. Hopefully, we are just ahead of the curve and others will start complaining soon. Just imagine what this will do to BlackBerry sales during the holidays, if the user cares about ease of access to news, sports, financial data, etc.  

0 Likes
mike_wzb

I thought I was going crazy.  It seems ridiculous to call something "My Web" with "My Sports" and "My Stocks" when you cannot customize it to show your stocks or highlight the sports you want to see.  You can't even have it display the weather for your town.  Maybe it should be named "Verizon's Web."  This downgrade is very disappointing.

0 Likes
Zander

About a week or so ago, "My Web" returned to being my web. I had removed my BB battery for a seemingly unrelated issue and I noticed it solved the "downgraded web" issue too. I have not had a chance to inspect other BB yet but mine seems to be fine for a week. Try it and you might find a fix.

0 Likes