Re: BlackBerry or iPhone
RCA

I've been a BlackBerry user for about four or five years now. I must say it's tempting but what it comes down to is this:

1. I need a phone that can sync to Outlook (Contacts, Calendar and Notes).

2. I must be able to easily operate my phone with one hand. I see a colleague answering his iPhone and he has to swipe his finger across the screen to answer and hang up. Really?

3. I need the ability to quickly view and send email, even with one hand on occasion. It's going to be tough to beat holster mode.

4. Good sound quality while on a voice call. Both speakerphone and earpiece.

5. Tether phone to laptop for occasional internet access while I'm out in the field.

There's no doubt about it that the iPhone is very attractive. I'm pretty sure from what I understand that it can sync to outlook but I heard it was only Calendar and Contacts, no biggie. I take the BlackBerry a step further and have only work Contacts, Calendar and Notes sync to my work PC. At home, only my personal info will sync. I achieve this by using the Filters in Desktop Manager. I wonder if the iPhone has this ability?

Using the iPhone with one hand will definitely take some practice. I don't think I would ever get used to it but who knows.

Email on the BlackBerry is top notch. I see my colleague on his iPhone viewing his emails with no real problems but it does take him some extra steps to get there. He does say it sometimes takes a long time to send. Nothing beats the BB when you hear your email notification and you simply pull the BB out of the holster and presto, there's your email ready for viewing.

The sound quality on the iPhone will be interesting now that it's on a CDMA network. Hopefully it will sound decent. There has been a lot of talk about sound quality and dropped calls on the iPhone. Some say it's the at&t network, some say it's the iPhone and some say it's both.

I'm pretty sure from what I have read that the iPhone will have the ability to tether and if I'm not mistaken it can be used as a WiFi Hotspot?

If I was to switch it wouldn't be with this version only having 3G. I would wait for a 4G version to come out. For now, I'm sticking with BlackBerry

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Thanks, RCA for bringing out those points.  Thanks for sharing your ideas and opinions of the Blackberry Vs the iPhone. 

Doc

0 Likes
FuzzyB

I concur on this...I also have landed numerous accounts because of the speed and reliability of my BB.  Iphone, droid, berry...they are all very nice devices.  But if you're looking for a tool first and media device second, berry all the way.  In fact, out of the 3, the iphone is the last one I would choose...at least from a middle aged businessman's point of view :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
RCA

You're welcome Doc.

FuzzyB wrote:

But if you're looking for a tool first and media device second, berry all the way.

That's right, and that's what it comes down to for me.

0 Likes
cjsmoove

Is'nt Iphone 5 coming in the summer ??

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

cjsmoove wrote:

Is'nt Iphone 5 coming in the summer ??

That is pure speculation.  Many are saying it will not come to Verizon until at least 2012.

0 Likes
lou61166
Contributor - Level 1

I agree about the buisness side of a blackberry,but that is it,for using a mobile phone for web browsing,music and media,and apps,the iphone blows away blackberry.not mention when a new os is released the iphone can get it,not all Blackberries can do this.i have a Blackberry for phone and text,and a ipod touch 4 generation,for everything else.it all depends on what you need a mobile device to do.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

lou61166 wrote:

i have a Blackberry for phone and text,and a ipod touch 4 generation,for everything else.

This -- like my BB and iPad -- is a perfect combination!

0 Likes
tootygreen

The app appeal of the iPhone caught my eye for a long time, but I really love my BB, and now the Droid has me curious too.  My Curve 8330 is a bit outdated compared to everything that came out immediately after I was in a 2-yr contract, but it still really meets all my needs.  I'm either going to upgrade to a more sophisticated BB, or possibly a Droid.  I'm still undecided, so I'll watch the forum closely to get some more input. 

A coworker told me VZW is doing away with the NE2 right before the iPhone comes up for purchase, so if anyone's heard anything to confirm or deny this, I'd be interested to know if that's accurate for all upgrades, or just toward the iP4, or just crap.

0 Likes
shaena21
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Blackberry Bold (Tour 2) and i am going to say that I will be jumping ship. I have not been happy with Blackberry for a while now, and had Verizon given straight answers when I signed this contract, which is not up until February 2012 I would never have got the BB Bold. I can NOT wait to get the I phone. And although I have to add a line in order to get the I Phone, I will be happy to get rid of BB.

0 Likes