Blackberry Bold 9650 OS 6 upgrade?????
mindless7676
Does anyone know what going on with this OS 6 for the bold and when it will be released? I am hoping it will fix the low ring volume
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Bold 9650 OS 6 upgrade?????
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

RIM doesn't have plans for a full launch of OS6 until the second half of this year and the start of 2011. When RIM decides it's okay for a full launch then you have to wait for VZW to test and approve it. You'll be waiting awhile. At least the next 4-8 months. 

So.....don't hold your breath.

0 Likes
BBAndrew

Its gonna be Oct according to a unnamed VZW source. And RIM is not in control, they send the OS's to the carriers with the appropriate OS6 compatible devices (ie 9700, 9100/9105, 9650). Then the carriers brand them and test them until its approved. We already know that VZW has had the OS since 2 months ago. So they are ready to release, they are just a bit slow on releasing. But it should be oct, sadly. VZW likes to release big OS upgrades with new devices, and the odin refresh is... OCT.

Any VZW rep wanna clarify or enlighten us? :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps,

Andrew

0 Likes
kfa1217

I got the alert on my desktop software that an upgrade was available - to get OS6 - so should I download it or not? Thought I would come here to see if anyone loved/hated it first...you know kinda like when Windows releases a new OS...do I wait til the bugs are worked out, or get it now?

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

kfa1217 wrote:

I got the alert on my desktop software that an upgrade was available - to get OS6 - so should I download it or not? Thought I would come here to see if anyone loved/hated it first...you know kinda like when Windows releases a new OS...do I wait til the bugs are worked out, or get it now?

Are you sure that upgrade wasn't for the Desktop Manager 6.0 software?  I don't think that OS6 for the Bold has been released yet.  I just checked with my phone update function and it was not available.  FYI, I like the new DM6 software, it is easier to use  (bluetooth capable) and has more features.

0 Likes
kfa1217

Spiral wrote:

kfa1217 wrote:

Are you sure that upgrade wasn't for the Desktop Manager 6.0 software?  I don't think that OS6 for the Bold has been released yet.  I just checked with my phone update function and it was not available.  FYI, I like the new DM6 software, it is easier to use  (bluetooth capable) and has more features.

Well Spiral...I could swear that it was OS6 but I will have to look into it to be sure...of course I am sitting here now and not getting the alert (figures!) so I'll have to be patient and wait for it to come back up...

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

kfa1217 wrote:

Spiral wrote:

kfa1217 wrote:

Well Spiral...I could swear that it was OS6 but I will have to look into it to be sure...of course I am sitting here now and not getting the alert (figures!) so I'll have to be patient and wait for it to come back up...

I can assure you both that it's not the update for BB OS6. The update notification you got is only for Desktop Manager. This release has been widely documented and reviewed. You can confirm this on Blackberry.com/Desktop

As far as the OS itself... check the standard gamut of tech blogs (BGR, Crackberry, Engadget, Gizmodo). They'll post info about the OS6 release long before you see it officially from VZW. So keep your ear to the grinding stone. 

It's my prediction that OS6 will be released for the Bold/Storm 2 around October/November. So I'm not holding my breath. 

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

nmchileman wrote:

It's my prediction that OS6 will be released for the Bold/Storm 2 around October/November. So I'm not holding my breath. 

So if I wait till Christmas, or January (for my NE2) to get the Bold, it should come with OS6?  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
redwizard6

From reading at the RIM website, Verizon had the OS 6 upgrade and is testing but who know when they will release it?  Verizon?? Any hints??

0 Likes
kfa1217

I wish I knew redwizard6 - but like the previous poster said, they are probably right in saying Cmas or early 2011 if Verizon's history is any indication....guess I'll just be patient and hurry up & wait! :smileyhappy:

0 Likes