Re: Blackberry Bold 9650 OS 6 upgrade?????
redwizard6

me too!!  I dislike being teased with technology to come!!  I have no PATIENCE!!  But thats just me......love my 9650 except, of course, the default browser!! Heres hoping the Webkit based system is better! Cant be any worse!

0 Likes
Dezdon

Hit up Crackberry.com for OS 6.0 that works great and yes, the Webkit browser is sweet

0 Likes
kfa1217

Dezdon wrote:

Hit up Crackberry.com for OS 6.0 that works great and yes, the Webkit browser is sweet

What is this Webkit browser ya'll speak of ...

0 Likes
redwizard6

did you actually install it on your 9650? 

0 Likes
WhiteCollarRN

Yeah, wanting to upgrade and interested in how well OS6 works on the Bold.  Wish VZW would start putting out the new BB's that ATT and Sprint have with OS6! Thx!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

WhiteCollarRN wrote:

Yeah, wanting to upgrade and interested in how well OS6 works on the Bold.  Wish VZW would start putting out the new BB's that ATT and Sprint have with OS6! Thx!

Hi,

I think Verizon will put out a version of the OS 6 as soon as RIM fixes some of the bugs in the software.  I tried the 6.0.0.222 leak for the Bold 9650 and it has problems, most notably with the PTT.  The latest leak, 6.0.0.280 is even worse, especially with the radio file, causing a fluccuating signal.  I think as soon as RIM fixes the problems, the 6.0 will be released officially for those devices that can handle the upgrade.  For now, I installed the 5.0.0.975 on my Bold and it runs very well.  No signal problems or any other problem that I can see so far.  I would recommend upgrading to the .975 if you have not done so yet.  You will see an improvement in signal, especially compared to the .732 OS. 

Doc

0 Likes
redwizard69

Its redwizard6 here...forums said I dont exist so I had to start over.  Ok Installed OS 6.0.0.333 in my Bold 9650. Love it. More consistant service,ie..more bars more often.. browser is Wowser compared to os 5. faster smoother. Just over all better performance. Very happy and have been running it for 5 days now. No freezes, no need for a battery pull for any reason. Easy enough to find and install if you want to try it......only thing...none of my themes written for 5 work in 6!! :smileysad:  LOL  btw got it at www.blackberryforums.com

0 Likes
farblue

Rimarkable.com has an article that may be of interest:

http://www.rimarkable.com/verizon-flyer-touts-the-benefits-of-blackberry-6-official-update-imminent

The date on the article is Dec. 8th.  Hopefulll we'll see something shortly after the new year.

0 Likes
7100jgc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I gave up on waiting about one or two months ago, bit the bullet and installed the leaked OS 6.0.0.280.   I have never looked back.   It works fine, boots much faster and the browser is a big improvement (which was the motivating force to make the switch).

I think that the amount of hype has been totally ridiculous.  Sprint got out there first with their official release, and I am sure that Big Red has other more important things that they are interested in.   They sure aren't interested in those who have been waiting so long for an official release.

So now Skype is touting that it can be installed on the 9650, but so far, no luck, despite trying all of their recommendations.   Of course someone will say "well reinstall 5.0 and it might work".  No point in responding to that hypothetical.

I have contacted Skype support and I am waiting to hear back.  

I guess while I am waiting for the official 6.0 to come out, it is a good time to go shopping for one of those fine Android or Fruit products on a different carrier where they seem to be more responsive to the existing customer base.

0 Likes
redwizard69

Yeah 7100, the browser was my motivating factor for installing 6.0.0.333, and it is great, but I'm really surprised at the overall performance improvements and it just feels better. Can"t understand why Verizon is dragging it's feet on this one!!  They are just falling farther and farther behind and alienating loyal customers in the process. I've been a loyal customer for many years and for the 1st time, and seriously rethinking my commitment to Verizon.

0 Likes