Blackberry Bold 9650 outside of the US
ctz1057

My daughter in in Europe with her Blackberry Bold 9650 which says it's Global Ready, but does not seem to be working yet.  Is there something special she needs to do to actually enable it to send/receive calls outside the US ?  (Note:  She turned off roaming data to avoid the potential data charges from web updates, text messages, etc.).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Blackberry Bold 9650 outside of the US
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Mark_L,

I will answer your questions in order regarding the use of your services while in Italy.

1) When my wife and I are in Italy, how do I dial her phone?

If you both have global devices, you are able to dial her directly. Please note that the rate for voice calls in Italy is $1.29 per minute (for both lines), since the calls will not count against your calling plan's minutes.

If your wife does not have a global device, her phone will not work while in Italy. If her line is eligible for an equipment upgrade, you are able to obtain a global device for her with this option. Her equipment eligibility can be checked by logging in to your online account at http://www.verizonwireless.com/contactus and hovering over the "My Verizon" icon on the top of the page. You will then be able to log in and check her eligibility.  

If her line is not currently eligible, you are also able to contact our Global Team to discuss your options with getting her a temporary global device that will work in Italy, by calling 1-800-711-8300.

2)  How do I dial back to the US?

To dial back to the US, please follow these steps:

Dial Plus Sign then 1 then ten digit U.S. number

3)  My phone is programmed to roll over to my office voicemail (in the US) when I can't answer my smartphone.  Will that work?  I assume I have to tweak the programming?

The call forwarding you have set up will still work if you do not answer your phone, and the call will go to your office voice mail. You will not have to do anything prior to leaving the country for this to work.

4)  When someone in the US calls me, do they use the Italy country code, or just treat it like a domestic call (i.e.., area code and phone number)?

Since your number is based out of theUS, callers from theUSwill be able to dial your number directly. Callers will not incur additional charges, due to the fact that they are located in the US. As a reminder, if you use voice service while located inItaly, there is a $1.29 per minute rate.

I also wanted to mention that if using data in Italy, the cost is $20.48 per MB. You are able to turn off the data in the device, in order to avoid these charges. In addition, we  have global data plans you can choose from, should you decide to use data. They are:

$30 for 25MBs of data

$100 for 70 MB of data

To turn off the data capabilities on the Blackberry Bold 9650 device, please follow the steps below:

Go to Manage Connections icon

G to Mobile Network Settings (3rd from the bottom)

You will then see the option to turn off "Data Services" and "While Roaming"

You can click on the following link to view additional information about global services:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/international

I hope this information is helpful, and I hope you both have a great time in Italy!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

There are several things that need to be done before traveling internationally. First, we need to provision the International Dialing Feature (I-Dial) onto her line.  Once that's done, we need to activate the SIM card because she's in Europe.  She will be able to use Wi-Fi on the phone, but no Verizon Wireless features until the account is properly provisioned.  There are 2 numbers that you may need. For your daughter roaming internationally, she can dial our Global Support Team at 908-559-4899.  If you want to call our Global Services Team from the U.S., you can call 800-711-8300. 

Let us know if you need any further help. 

0 Likes
Mark_L

I'm piggybacking onto the question.  I have a new global Bold plus the international plan.  I'm looking for instructions for dialing, like:

1)  When my wife and I are in Italy, how do I dial her phone?

2)  How do I  dial back to the US?

3)  My phone is programmed to roll over to my office voicemail (in the US) when I can't answer my smartphone.  Will that work?  I assume I have to tweak the programming?

4)  When someone in the US calls me, do they use the Italy country code, or just treat it like a domestic call (i.e.., area code and phone number)?

Is there someplace on the Verizon site that will teach a rookie like me how to do this stuff?  I need to alert my office, my mother's nurses, etc etc as well.

Many thanks.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Mark_L,

I will answer your questions in order regarding the use of your services while in Italy.

1) When my wife and I are in Italy, how do I dial her phone?

If you both have global devices, you are able to dial her directly. Please note that the rate for voice calls in Italy is $1.29 per minute (for both lines), since the calls will not count against your calling plan's minutes.

If your wife does not have a global device, her phone will not work while in Italy. If her line is eligible for an equipment upgrade, you are able to obtain a global device for her with this option. Her equipment eligibility can be checked by logging in to your online account at http://www.verizonwireless.com/contactus and hovering over the "My Verizon" icon on the top of the page. You will then be able to log in and check her eligibility.  

If her line is not currently eligible, you are also able to contact our Global Team to discuss your options with getting her a temporary global device that will work in Italy, by calling 1-800-711-8300.

2)  How do I dial back to the US?

To dial back to the US, please follow these steps:

Dial Plus Sign then 1 then ten digit U.S. number

The call forwarding you have set up will still work if you do not answer your phone, and the call will go to your office voice mail. You will not have to do anything prior to leaving the country for this to work.

Since your number is based out of theUS, callers from theUSwill be able to dial your number directly. Callers will not incur additional charges, due to the fact that they are located in the US. As a reminder, if you use voice service while located inItaly, there is a $1.29 per minute rate.

I also wanted to mention that if using data in Italy, the cost is $20.48 per MB. You are able to turn off the data in the device, in order to avoid these charges. In addition, we  have global data plans you can choose from, should you decide to use data. They are:

$30 for 25MBs of data

$100 for 70 MB of data

To turn off the data capabilities on the Blackberry Bold 9650 device, please follow the steps below:

Go to Manage Connections icon

G to Mobile Network Settings (3rd from the bottom)

You will then see the option to turn off "Data Services" and "While Roaming"

You can click on the following link to view additional information about global services:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/international

I hope this information is helpful, and I hope you both have a great time in Italy!

0 Likes