Blackberry Bold 9930 phone calls not going through
CHP

I got the Blackberry Bold 9930 on January 26th.  On February 10th, the phone stopped working.  I could text and BBM, but could not receive or make calls.  The phone thinks it is connecting and the counter runs, but there is no sound. I can't receive calls either.  The phone vibrates,but doesn't ring and when I try to answer, nothing. I took it to Verizon store, he removed battery and put it back in again, phone worked.  Exactly one week later at the same time of day (2:30 pm), the same problem.  Back to store, he connected the phone to the computer and updated it, worked fine.  Yesterday, same exact problem at same exact time of day (my kids get out of school and start trying to call me at 2:30, that's how I know the exact time).  Back to Verizon, now they tell me it's a software problem which will be fixed with a new update coming next week.  Did a battery pull, worked fine.  AGAIN today, same time, same problem.  Does anyone have this problem or any ideas?  It's driving me crazy.  Does some kind of update happen at 2:30 pm?  It's just so weird, phone works perfectly all day until then.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Bold 9930 phone calls not going through
itaest
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Back to Verizon, now they tell me it's a software problem which will be fixed with a new update coming next week"... sorry I dont have an answer for you but I did find this comment of your interesting.  I wonder what the new update will be and what will it fix... (just thinking)

0 Likes
Not applicable

CHP, I apologize for the delay. Are you still having issues with your device not being able to make calls suddenly? I'm not showing this as a known issue for this device, so it may be an issue with your particular device. Do you notice this happening after using any certain tasks or applications? Make sure that when you use applications like the browser, camera, etc. to press the Menu button then Close the application. Do this instead of pressing the red End button to close, because it ensures that all applications closed. If multiple applications are running at once, that can affect the operation of the phone. I would also recommend soft resetting the phone often by removing the battery for a few seconds. Still you should not have to pull the battery all the time just to make and receive calls. Let me know if this issue persists.

MarquiaF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Tfliberty

I just received the BB Bold 9930 yesterday and have experienced the same problem of not being able to make or receive phone calls. I was able to text and email.   When calling, the phone will dial and show connected and there is no audio, and having later talked to the people I was calling, they were not able to hear anything on their end.  When receiving calls, the phone will display the caller and number and when answered, shows connected but again no voice on either end. I experienced the problem around 1pm each day, but I'm not sure if that was just coincidental.  No other apps were running during the calls.  I did a battery pull each time and it seemed to work.  I hope that there is a fix available because it would be impossible to anticipate when the phone will stop working prior to receiving or making a call and do a battery pull first.

0 Likes
itaest
Enthusiast - Level 2

TFliberty

I have had the same thing occur to me.  I notice it only occurs when I have plugged into the headset a 3.5mm plug that is connected to my car and I am playing music via my BB.  Both times that this has occurred, this has been the case.  It resolves by having to re-boot the handset.

Something is screwy in the BB OS that is causing this.

0 Likes
CHP

Luckily, since I last posted, it hasn't happened again.  But your problem is the exact same problem.  It's weird that it always happens at the same time of day.  The Verizon store employees haven't been very helpful.  It's very frustrating....

0 Likes
VCZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem and am now on my 2nd 9930.  Mine, however, seems to be at random times.  We have several of these at work and almost all of them have had to be replaced only to be returned by the user with the same problem.  It does not appear to be a hardware issue since, but rather a software/OS issue.

Question - is anyone else using Bluetooth or BBM Music?  On a couple of occasions, I noticed that BT would cause a fault and display an errorl.  Just before the error the phone would appear to hang only to come back to life after the BT error.  Pulling the batt seems to clear things just as others report.  For BBM Music, I notice that the player controls seem to conflict with the standard Music Player.  If you use BT to control your player, the phone seems to get confused with which player to control.  I removed BBM Music to see if this made a difference and it did not.

VZW - i understand not running too many apps simultaneously, but telling customers not to is not the solution.  I've owned every Bold since the original and never had problems and my habits have not changed.  Keep standard set of apps running (most you cannot close) plus music player and maybe weather or Google maps.  This has to be a bug in the OS.  My suspicion is BT which is why I am curious if others have the same experience.

0 Likes
itaest
Enthusiast - Level 2

With the sense this is a BB OS issue, its RIM that has to address it and not VZW. 

VCZ, I can connect my car's bluetooth to my phone to make calls but not play music from the Media Player on my BB so I use a 3.5mm plug.  When this issue has occurred, both times, I was using the 3.5mm plug to connect to my car to play music from my BB while having the Bluetooth connected for any phone calls I would make. 

I completely feel this is NOT a hardware issue as well, but an OS issue. 

So I now plug in my Apple iTouch for music instead of using my BB.

0 Likes
rogue6089

Having the same issue. Random no sound on incoming or outgoing. Battery pull resolves it. Any word on a fix? It is starting to happen more frequently.

0 Likes
CHP

No word on a fix, but it has stopped happening after getting very frequent. Good luck

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

0 Likes