Blackberry Bold Media Card Backup
FreonJohn

I'm new to the Blackberry (Bold 9650), so I might be missing what I've been looking for.  Most of the time, when I start, and particularly reboot my device, it always comes up with the message saying that the new media card has errors and asks if I want to correct the errors.  Then it asks me if I want to save lost clusters.

A service tech told me to back up my data card to the computer and then reformat my card.

Questions:

1.     Is the data card and the media card the same?

2.     Will all data, including video and pictures be saved?

3.     How do I save it to the computer?

4.     This is a brand new phone with card.  Why is it damaged?

Thank you for any advice and help you can give.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Bold Media Card Backup
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

FreonJohn wrote:

I'm new to the Blackberry (Bold 9650), so I might be missing what I've been looking for.  Most of the time, when I start, and particularly reboot my device, it always comes up with the message saying that the new media card has errors and asks if I want to correct the errors.  Then it asks me if I want to save lost clusters.

A service tech told me to back up my data card to the computer and then reformat my card.

Questions:

1.     Is the data card and the media card the same? Yes, the two names are referring to the same thing.

2.     Will all data, including video and pictures be saved? That depends on how much damage there is to the card, if there is any.  Correct errors, save lost clusters....sounds like a bad card.  Data may or may not be recoverable, and all you can do is try.

3.     How do I save it to the computer? You'll need a slot on your computer or a card reader, and if it is a micro SD, you'll need an adapter to fit it into the computer slot or card reader.  My micro SD came with an adapter - you can find them at places like Office Max, Staples, Best Buy, etc.  Put the card in the slot and read it like any other drive - copy everything on the card to a folder on your computer.  Then you can reformat the card, "fix" any errors, and try to recopy the information back to the card.  Me?  I'd spend another $10 and get a new card.

4.     This is a brand new phone with card.  Why is it damaged?   It happens. The cards are so tiny, and delicate, they get damaged easily.  If the phopne came with the card already installed, it may be under warranty and you can get it replaced at the store where you got the phone.  Do the backup of all your information on the card, then take it in and see if they will replace the card.

Thank you for any advice and help you can give.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, John,

(At least I didn't start this out as a "Dear John" letter, LOL) Couldn't resist,

Anyways, that error message you have been getting is the same one I have been getting a few times.  I have noticed my device giving that message,especially after a battery pull.  I believe it is a glitch in the latest OS.  I usually ignore it.  I have check my card in another phone and on my PC and it appears to be without errors.  So, I doubt there is a problem with your card or your phone, just a software glitch. 

Doc

0 Likes
FreonJohn

Thank you, SuzyQ.  Since my phone is so new, I don't have much to lose to follow your suggestions on saving and reformatting. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

0 Likes
FreonJohn

It definitely has been a lonnnnnnng time since I have received a "Dear John" letter, thank goodness! :smileyhappy:

I will get my card in the computer and if I don't find a problem, I will do as you suggest and ignor the problem.  If there is a problem, I will reformat and go from there.  I'll let you know the final result.

0 Likes