Re: Blackberry Keyone
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

To show that our CDMA phones are not CDMA only, the Samsung Convoy IV basic flip phone my wife uses works on CDMA out of the box. If you remove the battery, there is a SIM slot there to use the phone on GSM.

So her basic phone is ready when VZW flips the switch.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

And that device will no longer function after Dec 31 2019 because it's not LTE. Verizon doesn't have a GSM network. And yes I'm away LTE is sub-set of GSM but it's not the same. Unless a device has LTE bands 2,4 an especially 13 and can do VoLTE then it won't work after Dec 31 2019

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Dick Lewis wrote:

It's simple really when you remember that these BlackBerry phones that have CDMA are NOT CDMA only.

My KEYone is CDMA and unlocked GSM, therefore should Verizon flip a switch that CDMA no longer works,

likely a new SIM and phone would work because it is also GSM.

VZW first announced they would drop CDMA around 2014, so not holding my breath. So if I want a BlackBerry Motion, for now at least, we need CDMA.

Since you didn't read it last time

http://tomhamptonagency.com/wp-content/uploads/Verizon-3G-letter-1.pdf

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

KEYone has the correct bands.

https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_keyone-8508.php

Looks like I have problem with Convoy IV. Three of them on my account.

Think I would have gotten a notice from VZW.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

So the big question is... does this open up Verizon network to the vast number of GSM only phones out there.  (As long as they have compatible LTE bands) ?

Or is Verizon still an exclusive club....

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Dick Lewis wrote:

KEYone has the correct bands.

https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_keyone-8508.php

Looks like I have problem with Convoy IV. Three of them on my account.

Think I would have gotten a notice from VZW.

Then what are you complaining abut if it has the correct bands? Put your Verizon SIM in it.

As far as the Convoys why would you get a notice NOW when you have util Dec 2019?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

mama23dogs wrote:

So the big question is... does this open up Verizon network to the vast number of GSM only phones out there. (As long as they have compatible LTE bands) ?

Or is Verizon still an exclusive club....

You do realize Verizon sells phones without CDMA in them RIGHT NOW and have for months.

ASUS ZenFone V | Specs, Pricing, Reviews | Verizon Wireless

ZenFone V Live | Verizon Wireless

LG Exalt LTE | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

None of those phones have any interest for me. I am BlackBerry fan.

As far as putting SIM in KEYone, I have been using it all along on VZW.

Not what this thread is about, it's about Verizon supporting BlackBerry, KEYone in this case.

For the record, I'm a long, long time customer of Verizon Wireless.

And I'm not complaining, just trying to get an update.

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

DONUT_1216 wrote:

Will Verizon EVER sell or support any BLACKBERRY products such as the KEYONE. If so, when ??

With all the confusion and some replies a bit off track, I'm replying to original post.

At this stage, it is not likely that VZW will decide to sell the KEYone.

Also we may not see the Motion either, TCL/BlackBerryMobile hasn't even released a CDMA version yet.

Motion GSM has all the correct bandwidths, but haven't read anyone using one on VZW.

In my reply number 3, I mentioned I purchased the GSM/CDMA unlocked version from Best Buy.,

Verizon SIM inserted, activated on VZW without a hitch.

Hopefully with two new models announced for 2018, we will see some BlackBerry love from Verizon.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Dick Lewis wrote:

None of those phones have any interest for me. I am BlackBerry fan.

My post wasn't meant for YOU look at whose post I was responding to( hint NOT you ). not everything is about YOU.