Blackberry Storm new 5.0 software
Cirrus

Since the download and installation of the new Blackberry software, I have had battery charging problems with the USB connection. Has anyone else seen this? If I use the wall charger, the auto DC volt charger or my computer USB port to charge the phone, every other time I hook up the cable I get a message that says: "The device you are using cannot change the battery".

I have tried two different batteries with the same result. i have even obtained a new replacement phone and still see the problem.

Verizon tech support seems to have not seen this. This was nit an issues before the software was updated.

Brian

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Storm new 5.0 software
DGoebel

I'm experiencing the same issue, with the original charger.  Wife's phone updated to same software has no issues, both were updated to 5 at the same time. Hopefully these posts will bring some heads up to the BB firmware writers.  Both of our phones are only 4 months old. If I do a battery pull, I can usually get it to charge properly the next time.  Pretty frustrating since I'm out on the road often and my car charger doesn't charge the phone.

0 Likes
Cirrus

Very interesting. My Storm is only a few months older than your and I also received a 2 for 1 deal so my wife uses the other phone. She has no problems either with the new software. Her phone charges fine. I swapped batteries with hers and it is not the battery. Maybe it is one of those male/female things :smileyindifferent::smileyhappy:

I have found that if you spend about 30 seconds connecting and re-connecting the cable to the phone you can often  get it to start charging. If that does not work then taking the battery out helps but then it has to completely reboot and takes 5 minutes.

I agree it is frustrating and hopefully more reports will lead to a fix. At least we both now know this is not an isolated case. Thanks for answering.

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Backup your contacts and info on Desktop Manager, then reinstall the 5.0 software. This should solve the problem, sometimes when upgrades install the device doesn't get completely wiped of the old software and this causes the problems with charging. To be sure your device is completely wiped you should get a 507 error on the device at first reboot during the new OS install, then it should continue to install the new OS.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

You can use a program called BBSAK (Google it) to wipe your device back to the 507 message.  It will also back up your third party apps as well.

0 Likes
Cirrus

I would have thought loading the new software on to the phone may have caused some corruption leading to the method you are describing  to solve the problem.

But I now am convinced this is NOT the answer because I had my phone replaced as a result of this problem. The new phone came with software 5.0 ALREADY installed before I added any contacts or anything else to the phone.

So backing out the contacts and reloading the software is not the answer. But I do agree there must be some incompatibility between the new software and some contact information. The exact phone with a different contact list in my household is not experiencing the same problem.

But if the phone comes with 5,0 already installed and no contacts, then we need to look deeper for the answer.

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Cirrus wrote:

I would have thought loading the new software on to the phone may have caused some corruption leading to the method you are describing  to solve the problem.

But I now am convinced this is NOT the answer because I had my phone replaced as a result of this problem. The new phone came with software 5.0 ALREADY installed before I added any contacts or anything else to the phone.

So backing out the contacts and reloading the software is not the answer. But I do agree there must be some incompatibility between the new software and some contact information. The exact phone with a different contact list in my household is not experiencing the same problem.

But if the phone comes with 5,0 already installed and no contacts, then we need to look deeper for the answer.

Not so, These are REFERBED phones, They are updated the same way with Desktop Manager by a TECH, they are busy doing more than one phone at a time. So to say the DEVICE was completely wiped is not so. You HAVE to wipe to a 507 error before loading a new OS to a phone or you will have problems. Sometimes Desktop manager doesn't wipe to a 507 error before installing anew OS, Sometimes it does. The first time the Phone reboots it should show 507 on the screen, then Desktop Manager will continue to install, Sometimes you won't see the 507 and Desktop Manager will install OVER the old OS. I use BBSAK (Blackberry Swiss Army Knife) (Free Download) to completely wipe and backup Apps before I do any OS install, I have went from the original OS to many Leaked and Hybrid OS's with absolutely no problems this way (Unless the OS had a known Bug) 75 percent of all problems are from a incorrectly installed OS. Try it, What have you got to loose except for a trip to Verizon for another phone that doesn't work.

0 Likes
Cirrus

I would like to have a bit more verification that exchanged phones are not fully refurbished before they are sent to new customers.

It already took me the better part of an entire day to reload all the applications that Blackberry Desktop does not save.

I lost all my independent Apps as well as all my Bluetooth settings when I had to swap phones.

Having now had TWO phones with the same problem, I am not going to go through that again until I am sure it will solve the problem. Right now the problem of not charging is intermittent and still workable albeit with a bit of inconvenience.

It seems this is a problem happening to more than a few customers and I would prefer Blackberry or Verizon comes out with a software fix for this that does not require wiping out your entire phone. Been there done that and it is not fun.

So the Verizon or Blackberry people read this forum?

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

They are Fully refurbed, BUT, The Tech might be installing OS's on 20 phones at the same time, It's not like they do one phone at a time, and unless the old OS was completely Wiped YOU will have a problem, This doesn't mean the phone wasn't Fully Refurbed. I have posted this solution in numerous posts with people saying it solved there problems, You can take the advice or leave it. Or go back to Verizon and replace the phone again, but no guarantees. Seems easier to me to wipe completely and reinstall OS before spending the Time and Money to travel to a Store to replace a phone that is probably fine except for the OS!

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Cirrus wrote:

Having now had TWO phones with the same problem, I am not going to go through that again until I am sure it will solve the problem. Right now the problem of not charging is intermittent and still workable albeit with a bit of inconvenience.

Let's see TWO phones, Same Problem

Hardware Problem? Not Likely.

Re-install the OS after wiping to a 507 error and your problems should be gone. You should have all your App's and Contacts backed up on your computer anyways, That's the first thing I recommend to anyone to do a complete Backup once you have the phone contacts and apps loaded.

0 Likes