Re: Blackberry Tour 9630 updated to 5.0.0.591 3/29/2010
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

TigersLuvPepper wrote:

Downloaded version 5.0.0.591 last night and some things do seem to work better.  However, I've noticed that the Mute key no longer puts the phone in standby mode.  Is there a reason RIM/VZW removed this functionality?  I frequently used this in order to conserver battery power while at the same time locking the keyboard.  The lock button does not fully lock all of the keys and if the phone is in your pocket the display will constantly be activated.

This is a decision that RIM made and affects all devices running OS 5.0.

Don't know why they took it away. I liked it too.

Crackberry.com wrote an article about it with a confirmation directly from RIM in their knowledge base.

0 Likes
Geocritter

Ah, you bunch of lucky ducks.  I can still hear my 8330 chiseling away on it's stone tablet...

0 Likes
Wednezday

I am a BBTour newbie as of March 7, 2010 & I just upgraded my Tour with the help of the wonderful people here in this forum

Thank you .....:womanvery-happy:

0 Likes
vetaldj

Hello,

After upgrate to version 5 all my emails come in text format instead of html... I downgraded to 4.7 but it still text. How can I switch it back or it's some kind of new feature to save data usage?

I have Tour.

Thanks!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Open the messages folder.  Press the Menu key and select Options>Email Settings.  Change Enable HTML Email to Yes.  Press the Menu key again and save.

Doc

0 Likes
vetaldj

It was set to YES for HTML but I still receiving wierd stuff instead of emails....

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Wednezday wrote:

I am a BBTour newbie as of March 7, 2010 & I just upgraded my Tour with the help of the wonderful people here in this forum

Thank you .....:womanvery-happy:

Congratulations! You're no longer a newbie!

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Enjoying the new OS. I appreciate the rearrangements in the Options menu.

Some note worthy changes:

New function to automatically update the Time Zone based on your location.

Easier to understand Security Wipe menu and the ability to wipe personal info, 3rd party apps or the memory card separately or all at once.

Threaded SMS.

Native file explorer (Found it in the Applications folder; a file cabinet icon labled "Files").

I also found a more detailed change log with a list of improvements:

0 Likes
jbadger10

I did the upgrade right when it became available. Overall I'm a fan of the new operating system. I do, however, have a few complaints:

1. Battery life is HORRIBLE after the update - phone did not make it through the day with minimal use

2. Browser click issue - such a pain that 50% of the time the links don't work and you can't zoom in without having to either click 72 times or open the menu and click "zoom in" or "open link"

3. I know that RIM did it with all 5.0 versions but I find it very annoying that the "standby" function is now the "lock" button because it is uncomfortable having to press the button on that side of the phone - very petty, but obnoxious.

4. I love the new threaded SMS but when you hit the "back" button to erase what you've written so far (like you can in BBM) it takes you out to the mailbox and saves the SMS as a draft - it should erase the field like it does in BBM. **bleep** that it is the same function but actually functions differently.

PLEASE SOMEONE FROM VERIZON OR RIM READ THIS AND MAKE CHANGES VERRRRRRRRRRRY QUICK!

Need a patch fix ASAP

0 Likes
BB TOUR UPDATE ON BLACKBERRY DEVICE MANAGER
arnhelzky

Hi Doc,

The Blackberry Device Manager installed in my PC shows that 5.0.0.591 is already available. I was amazed and excited to upgrade my BB tour. So, i started doing my stuff... Upon continuing, to my surprise, I could no longer continue... because of this: " ONLY ACTIVE BLACKBERRY SERVICE SUBSCRIBERS ARE ENTITLED TO INSTALL THIS BLACKBERRY DEVICE SOFTWARE UPGRADE." Doc, What is this? I'm here in the philippines... what can i do? My current device software is 4.7.1.61...

0 Likes