Blackberry & data plans
wsyoung99
I am thinking of purchasing a Blackberry Curve but do not really want to add a data plan to my account. Do I indeed have to have a data plan added to my account to activate the Blackberry Curve?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Blackberry & data plans
BBgirl09
Contributor - Level 1
Yes, Verizon will not allow a BlackBerry on your account unless you have a BlackBerry data plan.  Also a BlackBerry data plan is not the same as other phone data plans.  Since the Curve does not have WiFi, you would have a nice PDA and phone, but no email, no browser, none of the features that make a BlackBerry great.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BBgirl09
Contributor - Level 1
Yes, Verizon will not allow a BlackBerry on your account unless you have a BlackBerry data plan.  Also a BlackBerry data plan is not the same as other phone data plans.  Since the Curve does not have WiFi, you would have a nice PDA and phone, but no email, no browser, none of the features that make a BlackBerry great.
0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3

What is the purpose off getting a Blackberry if you don't want data? Verizon many plans to choose from. But stick with simpler phones if you really don't want data.

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3
I apologize for the previous post. You can get whatever phone you want without all the "bells and whistles"
0 Likes
Matthew
Purchased a BlackBerry Storm 2 days ago.. You are REQUIRED to add the Data Plan. You can get BlackBerry unlimited for 24.99 i beleive, and add tetheirng makes it around 40.00. Whats odd is BlackBerry Unlimited is truely Unlimited, but once you add tethering (Paying More) you also add a 5GB cap... If that isnt odd... But with only 2 days of use, I have used over 175 MB of Data, so yeah its needed :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3

The cheaper blackberry data feature is 29.99.

The reason there is a data cap when you add tethering is because you're turning your BB into a modem and using it as an access point for your laptop/desktop.  So, there is a 5GB for the broadband access, just like when you get a normal Datacard and plug it in.  Also, you'll notice that with tethering, it brings the total for the data + tethering to the same price as the 5GB broadband plan :smileywink:

Now, the BB itself still has its own data usage and technically, you might notice a slowdown in your connection once you hit 5GB through the BB... and probably an e-mail or letter from VZW telling you to stop surfing so much :smileytongue:

0 Likes
StormModder
Contributor - Level 1

there is a separation between the Blackberry data portion and the tethering data portion.  When you check your usage, you don't see which is which, though.

The Blackberry aspect is considered unlimited, though there is a 5GB soft cap - and to reach 5GB on the phone browser is virtually impossible unless you're streaming music and video constantly.

The tether feature is 5GB, with a .10/MB overage rate.  So watch your usage.  Check youf usage using #data from the phone, vzam usage button, or my verizon.

0 Likes