Blackberry does not sync right w/Hyundai Sonata
PlasticMoonRain

For the last several weeks, I've had a lot of issues synching the Bluetooth on my Blackberry 9630 and 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While it initially pairs, the connection breaks periodically when a new session is initiated.

My car dealership called Hyundai and said that this is an issue specifically with Verizon Wireless phones?

That there is a software download that Verizon Wireless provides that solves this problem.

Does anybody have a similar problem or know abot this software download?

THANKS.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry does not sync right w/Hyundai Sonata
moates
Contributor - Level 3

I have provided some information below that may be helpful.

New software often contains fixes to known issues with features on the device. Before updating the software on the device, ensure you create a backup file. I have provided information below on how to check if a software update is available, and how to back up the Blackberry.

To check the software on the Blackberry do the following below:

-From the main screen, press Blackberry.
-Scroll to Options, press Trackball.
-Scroll to About, press Trackball.

The newest software version available is 5.0.0.975

Downloading Desktop manager (if not already installed)

Windows

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=14436

Mac

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=25500

Backing up

Windows

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=16420

Mac

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=25636

Updating software

Windows

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=17427

Mac

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=27499

0 Likes
acrowell05

I have been experiencing a similar problem with my 2011 Sonata.  I have a Blackberry Storm2, which by the way, is listed as a "compatible" phone in the Hyundai list.   My phone will initially pair, but upon restarting the car, I randomly receive a "pairing failed" message.   I have worked with the dealer for a month trying to resolve the issue, I've been to the local Verizon store twice.  Hyundai says it's a security issue that Verizon should resolve and Verizon reps told me it was a Hyundai security issue, that had to be resolved.   ANY suggestions or information to resolve this would be most appreciated.  

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Make sure you have the most updated software on the device.   

You can download the updates from the links in the previous posts. 

0 Likes
PlasticMoonRain

I have the most updated software for my Blackberry Tour. As a matter of fact, that update happened a few weeks ago. It is not working properly.

Pairs the first time, then it's about a 50-50 chance it pairs again after the motor is turned on again. And once it does not pair, that's it -- the profile has to be deleted and the pair process must be done all over again.

It appears, that for reasons I can't quite understand, the Hyundai Sonata 2011's Bluetooth is incompatible with the Blackberry Tour 9630 on Verizon Wireless.

Despite the fact that hundreds of thousands of Tours have been sold in the last 18 months, for some reason, Hyundai and Verizon Wireless have just not addressed this problem!

0 Likes
jonstrong

I have a 2 week old 2011 sonata 2.4L Limited (without nav). I had similar problems attempting to pair my blackberry 8900 (t-mobile) with the Sonata. especially annoying when it went to the "pairing failed" loop...

I deleted the phone from the car's Bluetooth setup, and the car from the phone's Bluetooth device list. I then paired one more time. This time, after initial pairing and connecting, I went into properties on the BT connection within the phone, and turned off encryption (setting is specific to each connection). All device properties I've set:

I also set the device to "Trusted"

Encryption is set to "Disabled"

Echo Control is set to "Automatic".

Backing out of the connection itself and looking at Bluetooth options:

Discoverable: No

Allow outgoing calls: Always

Contacts Transfer: All Entries

Security Level: High

Connect on Power Up: Yes

Services: all items are checked (I don't know if that's good or bad...or doesn't matter).

With all of that - the phone connects automatically with the Sonata every time I enter and turn on the car -- nothing manual needed. Been working like that for several days. It transfers about 333 contact entries to the car in just a few seconds (at least that's what it reports).

Incoming calls are great over Bluetooth, and voice recognition works great for "Dial" when I am willing to say the number digits and have it dial by number. Unfortunately, despite having paired a few times, change the name order from First / Last to Last / First, the car remains incapable of letting me dial by name -- it invariably gets the wrong name from my phone book, and the car's own text to speech on my phone book entries is almost unintelligible. That part of the BT hands free implementation is screwy -- although literally everything else on the car has been spectacular.

I hope Hyundai fixes the hands free dialing soon -- or that my dealer can fix mine. Aside from this the car has been amazing -- if I can get this fixed, it's perfect.

Try my suggestions above. Good luck with this.

- Jon

0 Likes
cheri_s

I have the same issue, the initial set up was fine with my Blackberry and then once the car was turned off and restarted the system just repeats "pairing failed, pairing failed..." until I shut off the car and turn off my phone. In order to use the bluetooth function I need to delete the phone each time I shut the car off and pair it as a new pone when I start it again... it SUCKS! Hyundai has been no help- they say they have not heard of this issue... just go online a zillion people have written about it!

This is a work phone so the systems team has to perform any software upgrades on it...has anything worked?

BTW- my husband's Blackberry has the same problem.

0 Likes
jonstrong

Some more info to share:

I left my Sonata with Hyundai service overnight so they could take care of one item (a faulty heater fan switch) and spend a bit more time researching the bluetooth issue w/my blackberry 8900. I picked up the car this morning, and the service manager told me this:

She was on the phone with a Hyundai tech support line yesterday that's for use by use by dealer and service employees (not the general public) and discussed the issue a few times. They decided to do some more testing, and wound up rounding up 3 different model blackberry's from members of the staff at the dealership, and tested all three against several different 2011 Sonatas -- half with nav, and half without - some with the regular audio system in the GLS, and some with the Dimension audio system. At the end of the testing, they had learned that the blackberry's ALL were able to pair, and operate successfuly with the BlueTooth systems in the cars featuring the Nav unit - although the names DID transfer backwards, e.g., Last Name / First Name. However NONE of the blackberry's were able to operate properly with the BT systems in the other cars with non-Nav audio units. At best, they worked as my 8900 does with my Sonata: paired, sync'd, transferred a mangled version of the phonebook, and voice recognition was dreadful.

They called the Hyundai tech line again to discuss, and apparently it was acknowledged that there's a consistent problem with the BT implementation in non-Nav Sonatas, and apparently Hyundai IS working on it. This is all hearsay, so I can't vouch for complete accuracy, but I've been told that Hyundai is working to resolve this, and may wind up creating customized software versions to allow the BT units to be configured to work with different types of cell phones. Sounds like a somewhat impractical solution, considering the maintenance challenges with multiple software versions. but I guess it's good to know that Hyundai actually understands there's a compatibility problem here, and that they're working on it.

BTW: my 8900, and several other Blackberry's, are on the BT compatibility list (PDF doc) on the Hyundai website -- and yet have this problem. My guess is that this is a byproduct of the multiple versions of the Blackberry OS that have been issued SINCE Hyundai did the compatibility testing. For example: my 8900 has been running various 5.x.x.x OS versions for the past year, but it's quite possible that Hyundai tested using one of the 4.5.x.x versions of the Blackberry OS -- and the BT implementation may have significant differences from one major OS version to the next.

In the meantime -- if you have a 2011 Sonata, and you're considering getting a new BT capable mobile device in hopes of pairing it with the car, I urge you to test first, or make sure you have an option to return the phone if you find it's not compatible.(most mobile carriers allow 14 to 30 days to do this). I've seen a Droix X work perfectly with the car (no Nav and with Nav), and the contacts transfer properly too: First Name / Last Name. With iPhones, it seems that all works, including voice recognition, except the names transfer backwards: Last Name / First Name, and must be voice-dialed that way in the car.

I'll be trying other devices in the next few days. I'm considering various Blackberry's -- but I'm only holding out hopes now for those running OS 6.x.x.x, as it seems the the 5.x.x.x devices simply don't work properly with the Sonata BT implementation in non-Nav models. I'm also starting to try out various Android devices as well. Based on what I've seen so far, I'm more optimistic about the Android devices.

- Jon

0 Likes
cheri_s

Thanks Jon! Appreciate the feedback!

0 Likes
jonstrong

cheri_s wrote:

I have the same issue, the initial set up was fine with my Blackberry and then once the car was turned off and restarted the system just repeats "pairing failed, pairing failed..." until I shut off the car and turn off my phone. In order to use the bluetooth function I need to delete the phone each time I shut the car off and pair it as a new pone when I start it again... it SUCKS! Hyundai has been no help- they say they have not heard of this issue... just go online a zillion people have written about it!

This is a work phone so the systems team has to perform any software upgrades on it...has anything worked?

BTW- my husband's Blackberry has the same problem.

I had the repeating "pairing failed" issue at first. Seems to be a result of having paired the car and phone once, but not having the right settings -- and then attempting to pair the phone again without first deleting the phone's stored entry for the Sonata, and the Sonata's stored entry for the phone.

Apparently each device keeps track of some sort of unique ID for the devices to which it has paired, and the "pairing failed" loop occurs if you attempt to pair a device that's already paired.

Best results to date with the blackberry (mine is an 8900 - T-Mobile):

- delete Blacbkerry entry from Sonata

- delete Sonata entry from Blackberry

- go into Bluetooth Options on Blackberry, and set:

- Discoverable - No (you might try "yes" - I haven't needed to, and the car/phone pair every time now)

- Allow outgoing calls - yes

- contacts transfer - all entries

- security level - high

- connect on power up - no

- all services are checked

Pairing:

- go into Settings / Bluetooth (or start from Manage Connections, and then go into Bluetooth Setup)

- click menu button and select "Add Device" ... set BB aside for a moment while you get the Sonata ready...

Depending on your model / trim level of Sonata, there are 4 different types of audio system you may be dealing with. Mine is a 2011 2.4L Limited w/o Nav. Instructions are similar -- and they're all in the user guide:

- Select Setup

- Select Phone

- Select Pair Phone

The car will ask you to speak a name for the phone, then repeat your recorded voice back to you, after which you'll say "yes". it strores that voice tag so you can manipulate the phone as a pair BT (bluetooth) device with the car later on...

Next, the car will tell you that the pairing code to use will be 0000...

Back on your Blackberry, start up the "add device" process and "Search" for a new BT device. After a few moments, you should see "Sonata" pop up on a list of local / active BT devices. Select Sonata (click, or select it and press the menu button). You'll be prompted for a password, at which point you enter 0000 and press return / enter key.

The phone and car should pair almost immediately at that point, after which you'll probably see a prompt on the BB asking if you want to connect to Sonata -- select "yes". Once you see the Sonata listed on your BB as a paired device in BT options, select it, press the Menu button, and choose "Device Properties".

On the next screen:

- Set Trusted to Yes

- Set Encryption to Disabled

- Leave Echo Control on Automatic

With these settings, my 8900 is ALMOST totally compatible with the Sonata:

- it always pairs with the Sonata as soon as I get in the car and start it up

- the entire phonebook (330 contacts) transfer to the Sonata in about 30 secs or less

- BT connection to the audio system is excellent -- loud and clear both at my end and at caller's end

- incoming calls display caller's name on audio display, albeit backwards, i.e., Last Name / First Name

- I can make outgoing calls just fine from the Blackberry, and talk over the car's BT / audioi connection

- I can make outgoing calls using voice dialing in the car by phone number (e.g., "Dial 609-555-1234" works perfectly, even if I'm fast / sloppy about how I say the numbers)

Making voice calls by attempting to the speak the name, even backwards, is where this fails. Somehow the contact list gets mangled on the way from the Blackberry to the Sonata. I can say, "call voicemail", and the car responds, "call glissenjew on what number?". It's actually trying to say "Gleason Joe". Experimenting with other phone show that this problem is associated with the Blackberry talking to the Sonata, not just the Sonata in general (e.g., iPhones transfer the phone book in such a way that names are pronounced normally, and recognized by the Sonata).

No fix pending from Hyundai. They're claiming to just be learning about this and "working" on it, but that may be months, or it may be never. There's precious little useful info on the topic anywhere on the web.

I've seen a Droix X pair with the Sonata and work perfectly (first name / last name -- good recognition). Depending on upcoming events, I may need to STAY with a blackberry for work -- in which case I'll NEED to get it to work with the car. Just have no idea yet how I can be confident without trying new devices (e.g., newest BB's with OS 6.0) with the car.

If I can get an Android device properly configured at work with Exchange Server, I'll consider / try various Android devices with the car. Hopefully figuring this all out soon!

Now you know about all that I do on the subject...

- Jon

0 Likes