Blackberry problems sending MMS?
tigerv1

For the last two weeks I have had some problems, or what I perceive as a problem, with MMS messages.  I currently receive delivery receipts for MMS messages that I send out.  Typically when I send out an MMS I receive a delivery receipt within a minute or two.  Lately, however, the receipts are taking anywhere between 15 minutes to 4+ hours…if they are even delivered.  I also noticed the other day that it took two hours for someone’s MMS to be delivered to my Blackberry.  So it doesn’t just appear to be sending out MMS messages.  Now I guess my question, or questions are:

1)      On the delivery receipt I receive, is that when the recipient opens the MMS or is that when it is actually delivered to their cell phone?  (Case and point, I noticed that a MMS I sent last night didn’t get a delivery receipt till 3 and a half hours later…in the middle of the night.  I don’t want to be waking people up with delayed MMS messages)

2)      Is there an actual problem with the Verizon network and MMS messages?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry problems sending MMS?
tigerv1

I should also clarify my first question...

I want to know what constitutes "Delivered" when looking at the delivered time on an MMS delivery report.  I sent an MMS out last night at 9:08 pm and I didn't receive a delivery report until 11:45 pm.  So what I want to know is, was the MMS received (waking up the recipient) at 11:45, or is that when the recipient actually opened the MMS message? 

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I hope to clarify some of your questions.  First, the delivery receipt tell the sender when the message was sent to the person's phone, not when they actually opened the message.  Delivery receipts between two Verizon Wireless phones should be pretty quick, however if you are sending it to a user on another carrier, it could be delayed, depending on which carrier and the network traffic at that time.  As far as any reported problems with Verizon's messaging system, I have not heard of any.  As a matter of fact, I just sent my wife, who also uses a Verizon Tour like me, a MMS message and it was delivered within a minute.  So, I am pretty sure Verizon's system is running ok.  I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Doc

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

A delivery receipt is a confirmation of succesfull delivery to the handset, not an indication that the message was actually opened. Same with the delivery time stamp. That's the time that the phone actually receives notification of a new message. So it looks like your MMS are getting delayed some where in the system. If it happens to different people at different times of day I'd say more than likely the issue is on your end.

There's no known issues or outages right now for MMS. So I would suggest calling Tech Support. Sometimes messages can get stuck in the system and be delayed, Tech Support can refresh some information usually to get it running normally.

0 Likes
tigerv1

In looking more at it, it appears to be dealing with T-Mobile accounts.  Is anyone aware of issues sending messages to T-Mobile accounts?

0 Likes
mthomas044

I was having the same problem with two different STORM 2 phones.  Some MMS would be delivered and some would not.  It didn't matter if I was sending to a Verizon customer or ATT, it was the luck of the draw.  Never had this problem before.  After countless trips to the verizon store, calls to CS and getting so {edit} I just retuned the blackberry.  Been using my old phone now for two weeks and no problems at all.   Verizon kept saying it's not their problem that it was a Blackberry poblem.  I just knew it wasn't going to be my PROBLEM any longer!!!!!!!!!!!

{word filter avoidance}

0 Likes
crwc

I have the same problem (kinda) for the 2nd time this week I can send a MMS to everyone in my phonebook except my boyfriend who is a verizon user. He recieved his last MMS at 11;19 this morning, now I dont even get a delivery receipt. This occured Wed. morning,  He receievs every SMS I send. Verizon has no idea why? Any help is appreciated & welcomed. I have the storm, he has the curve. We have popped the batteries & reset the MMS status under options.

0 Likes
MyTwoCents

As previously stated, Delivered receipt is when the message is delivered to the handset.  There is also a read receipt setting in email, but it does not appear to be an option for MMS or SMS.  A read receipt will be sent when the email is opened, provided the receiving device sends them.  If a delivered receipt is sent when the message is received by the handset, then if that handset does not have a signal because of settings, coverage, or power status then that receipt would be delayed because it can't be delivered.  I don't think Verizon is always at fault when this happens, and certainly not Rim/BB.  My daughter has complained, more than once, that her phone (vice phone not smartphone) does not deliver MMS and or text to her boyfriends T-Mobile phone.  I think that is an issue with T-Mobile, not Verizon.  I also know folks who have strayed to the "Darkside" and bought an IPhone, and they are always asking that I don't send them MMS messages, rather do an email attachment.  I also believe that a battery pull along with dialing *228 and updating the roaming will solve a lot of problems, regardless of what kind of phone you have.

0 Likes