Re: Bold 9650 with Random Reboots
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey, William,

This is interesting.  I forgot about my Sim card, which I turned it around backwards and left it in the device a few months ago.  That was one of the things I did in hopes to stop the random reboots. 

I am happy to report that the latest OS 6 works well.  It has been installed almost 24 hours and not the first reboot.  Everything seems to be working well.  Battery drain in minimal and I continue to receive a strong, steady 3G signal.  I think this software release was a winner, at least for me so far.

Doc

0 Likes
William_M
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having no reboots here either although this is my first Bold 9650 and my first try at OS 6 on it.  It seems much better now that I"ve pulled that SIM card out I have no intention of traveling abroad in the forseeable future and if/when I do - I think I will get a tracphone or some other throw-away phone.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
OK--notes to self:
1-Upgrade BDS to latest version, then upgrade OS on phone with BDS
2-Check SIM card, reverse or remove it
3-Give Doc and William one more week to play with OS 6, then go for the upgrade myself :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
William_M
Enthusiast - Level 3

A few issues with this build so far ...

• Switching signal strength from bars via ALT code (ALT + NMLL) to numeric looks horrendous.  I don't know if that's intentional on this build, but on OS 5.x.x.x the number is displayed in white, not in this awful chalky looking white/black font they use now
  • ALT+CAP+LGLG no longer opens the engineering menu
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

William_M wrote:

A few issues with this build so far ...

• Switching signal strength from bars via ALT code (ALT + NMLL) to numeric looks horrendous.  I don't know if that's intentional on this build, but on OS 5.x.x.x the number is displayed in white, not in this awful chalky looking white/black font they use now I'm still using 5.0.0.975, and using the ALT code (very cool, BTW, I didn't know about this and I like it!!) it shows the numbers in black, outlined in white, and is very difficult to see against my bg image.  ALl white would be much easier to see.  Is this a theme setting option?  I'm just using the default, but I changed the wallpaper to a photo of my granddaughter.
  • ALT+CAP+LGLG no longer opens the engineering menu

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

I just wanted to update this thread on the status of my device since loading the latest OS 6 v 6.0.0.524 a couple of days ago.  The install was flawless and my device is running smoothly.  I believe the random reboots are a thing of the past.

First, if you have waited to upgrade your Bold's software, go ahead and do so.  This is a very stable software release.  The reboots never occurred and a breath of fresh air was breathed into my device.  It runs smoothly and snappier since the upgrade.  I maintain a constant 3G signal with no dropped calls.  The native browser works nicely, however, I do use the latest Opera Mini Version 6 Update 1 on my Bold.  I prefer the Opera Mini browser just because it loads pages faster.  Other features include an updated calendar and of course the new OS 6 interface.  I realize some of you may not care for the OS 6 interface and prefer the old OS 5, so to you I say, stay with what works for you.  My battery drain is minimal, no more than with the last OS 5 software release.  As a matter of fact, I went to work last night with a fully charged device and came home with about 75% remaining on my battery.  I did not make many calls last night, but I did answer a few emails and surfed the web a bit. 

In summary, I am going to mark this thread as having a solution found.  I firmly believe the first OS 6 release from Verizon had a poorly written radio file, thus causing my device to lose connectivity with the network and causing the random reboots.  This was resolved with the .524 OS release.  I hope this thread helps some of you who had the same problems.  Thanks.

Doc

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Thanks for the review Doc - I never did the first OS 6 upgrade, but will likely upgrade to this version ... before or after I travel, I'm undecided.
0 Likes
Amendoz

Hi all,

I got the BB Bold 9650 model, also I installed the OS 6.0, everything is working fine but sense I installed the 6.0 my camara is having problem in saving pictures, for example; I can take a picture but after I take it a messege apperars like " Error in the file system (6)"

Can someone tell me what wrong with it? or how can i fix the problem???

I´ll appreciatted.

AM

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Where are you storing your pictures?  On the device's main memory or on a media card?  If it is a media card, the card could be bad or just need to be formatted.  To reformat a media card on the Bold 9650 with OS 6, go to Options>Device>Storage.  Press the Menu key (on the left side of the trackpad) and select Format.  Hope that helps.

Doc

0 Likes
Amendoz

Hey Doc, thank you so much.

I follow as you suggested and indeed, the media card had some kind of problem and i formatted as you told me, now everything is working fine.

have a nice day.

Best regards,

AM

0 Likes