Bold Trackpad
odellrm

My Bold trackpad is at a severe angle.  The right side of the trackpad is significantly higher than the left.  I took it back to the store and showed a representative.  He told me there was nothing that could be done since it was still working properly.  I explained to him that no other device in his store looked or felt like mine to no avail.  He would not help me at all.  I told him that this was an obviously manufacturing defect and as a customer of 6 years he should make things right in good faith.  Still nothing.  I am really disappointed.  Does anyone else have a Bold like this??

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Bold Trackpad
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You are not the only one with problems with the crooked trackpad.  A lot of users have reported this problem across different forums.  As a matter of fact, mine does the same thing.  The trackpad on my Bold 9650 is slightly raised on the left side with the right side dipping down.  The trackpad works fine, it's just an asthetic thing.  For now, I have learned to live with it, as the trackpad is way better than the trackball on my old Tour.  I'm just curious is why the trackpads on the Curve 8530 have not had this problem, but the Bolds do.  The problem is widespread among Bold owners.  Anyways, still beats the heck out of the trackball.

Doc

0 Likes
Seattle

You are absolutely correct; a majority of the trackpad's are. I am on my third and have looked at several at various stores and they are all crooked and/ or uneven. My first was crooked and uneven and my second unit's surface de-laminated.

Some Verizon employees have acknowledged the issue where as others are following the corporate line that there is no problem. This is very similar to the Tour trackball issue. At this point most Verizon employees acknowledge that there is a big problem but prior to the Bold's release many were denying there was an issue (I went through 5 units). I am huge fan of the BB OS but am losing faith in their product build quality.

I believe that RIM's build quality and QC (as well as Verizon’s) has diminished and their only concern is to "pump out phones".

To suggest that there is nothing wrong when it is clear that a unit has a severely crooked and uneven trackpad is negligent. The unit I have now has such a low spot on the left side that when I try to scroll it activates whatever the cursor is on. I am making calls and opening programs even when I don't want to. The answer I keep getting is "we will send you a new one". Why would I want a new one? It will also potentially have the same problem. I told Verizon that I did not want another defective phone and that I would like to return it for something else. I am outside of the 30 day window and was told in a polite way that I am screwed.

Go to any Bold forum or Google "trackpad problem" and you will see that this is becoming widespread.

There will be a point where as with the Tour trackball issue Verizon and RIM will have to address this issue. We will see a "fix" or a new version.....until then, I implore everyone that has an issue with their trackpad to contact Verizon and RIM and let them know.

0 Likes
jayry32

This is very true. When I first received my bold, I noticed later that day that my track pad was significantly  raised on the left side. About 2 weeks went by and I started having problems with the ear piece. while I would be on the phone longer than 5 minutes, out of nowhere my ear piece would stop working, I couldn't hear the person I was talking to but they could hear me. I went to the verizon store and told them what was happening, as well as the track pad being tilted. Keep in mind I was still covered under the 30 day return/exchange policy "no questions asked". Well since they could not re-create the problem they would no replace my bold for me. I let it go for another 2 days. Well I got fed up with everything and Called verizon and explained my two problems over the phone and the guy said to me they shouldn't have had a problem replacing your phone with a new phone due to the fact you were still under the 30 days, with no questions asked he called the verizon store and made them have a new bold waiting for me an hour later. When i got the new one the track pad was not as tilted to the one side as my first bold was but i did mention it to the people at the store and advised them they might want to report it. But the pad works excellent! i was going on my 4th tour and the guy over the phone when i called at the time to replace it said I could take an early upgrade, so I did. 

Also I noticed recently like in the past week that the plastic coating on my track pad is chipping/coming off. Does anyone know is this is bad?

0 Likes
odellrm2

I was in a mall the other day and stopped by a corporate kiosk to check on the new Droid X.  A customer beside me was looking at the Blackberry Bold.  The VZW rep approached us and starting asking the gentlemen beside me what he thought of the phone.  At that point, I cut him off and told the man not to waste his time.  The Bold he was holding was defective just like mine, so I told him he was better off choosing another phone because VZW would not acknowledge the problem.  He looked down, inspected the phone and agreed with me.  THe VZW looked at me and walked away.  HAHA!  I have been a loyal customer for over 5 years and I am totally disgusted by VZW!  

0 Likes