Caller ID fails to identify numbers in my contacts 80-90% of the time after OS 6 upgrade
ejhonda
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since I upgraded to OS 6, my Bold 9650 has exhibited several issues, one of which is my Caller ID-capable phone no longer identifies calls that come in from phone numbers I have in my Contacts.  This is not consistent, but it fails the vast majority of the time.  This feature worked flawlessly prior to the OS 6 upgrade.  The one exception to this failure is for those contacts that are also identified as Facebook friends: those contacts will have their Facebook profile pic displayed the majority of the time, but probably about 20% of the time that too will fail to display properly.   The phone number always displays, so it's not that folks have suddenly blocked their phone numbers.  It's also not due to the calling area, as previous to this OS 6 upgrade I didn't experience this issue.   

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, does anyone know of a resolution to this issue?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Caller ID fails to identify numbers in my contacts 80-90% of the time after OS 6 upgrade
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Do the phone numbers in your contact list have the leading "1" that used to be necessary fro long distance calls? If any contact HAVE the leading digit, try removing it from the contact's number, and use only the 10 digit number. Also, be sure you are using the full 10 digits for contacts (including area code, even if they are in your same area code).

If this doesn't seem to be the issue, post back and I'll try to think what else it could be....
0 Likes
Re: Caller ID fails to identify numbers in my contacts 80-90% of the time after OS 6 upgrade
ejhonda
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Suzy,

Thanks for your response.  Sorry it's taken so long to respond, but it took an hour on the phone w/ VZW tech support just to gain access to my forum ID so I could post (a long story involving shortcomings with VZW's online presence, but I digress...)

None of my contact numbers have the '1' in front of them - they are all just 10 digit area code + numbers, whether they are local or not. 

I appreciate your idea and will gladly take any other items you can think to check into consideration.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
You did mention that those contacts that also have "synced" with your Facebook app DO show the FB profile pic and identity. Perhaps the FB is superseding the address book settings, so if they are not in FB then the phone isn't seeing them? I know Facebook and BB don't always get along....

I would remove the FB app, and see if your contacts work normally. If so, then you know it's FB that is somehow prioritizing itself and not allowing ID's to show for anyone not on FB.

Try a different FB app? I know there are a few...
0 Likes
ejhonda
Enthusiast - Level 2

Suzy -

I uninstalled FB, got by the cold sweats from the withdrawal, and of course had no incoming calls for 2 days.  Played around with calling my own cell from my work and home phones with mixed results - my work phone was correctly identified by my Contacts name associated, but my home phone just showed as the number.  I was a bit dubious of the FB uninstall truly clearing out remenants of the app, too, as the logo still appears on the home screen, and I believe the FB profile pics remained on some contacts.  If you click on the logo, it prompts you to install FB, but still...

This morning I was prompted to download an update for OS 6, so I'm in the process of that now.  With all the problems I'm experiencing with the move from OS 5 to OS 6, I figured it can't get much worse (can it???). 

I'll report back on my findings.

Other issues I noticed from the OS 5 to 6 jump:

- Blackberry Messenger no longer scans QR codes (just beeps 3 times after a brief period of showing the code on the screen - no attempt to focus on the code).  Installed an independent QR scanner app, but it won't read a code, either.

- Verizon icon that used to show your running total of data usage no longer shows the data usage number.  I would go into the app, exit, and a number would be on it.  Later in the day, look at that icon again, and the number was gone once again.  It used to show all the time and automatically update the total throughout the day.

- Phone antenna fails to turn on sometimes when the phone turns on for the day via the auto on feature. 

Hoping this update may address some, if not all, of these items.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I thought I would ring in here with my ideas.  I agree with Suzy in that Facebook and Blackberry don't always mesh very well.  I know from past experience I had various problems with my camera sending pics to FB.  Back to your problem, I think you should update your device to the latest OS 6 software from Verizon.  Then, hold off with loading Facebook on your Blackberry until you can test your phone for incoming calls.  You don't have to wait 2 days again, just call a few folks and tell them what you are doing and to call you back.  But for now, leave FB off your device and test it.  As a Registered Nurse, I know of a medication for Facebook withdrawal.  Seriously, report back here and let us know how things go. 

Doc

0 Likes