Can I replace my SIM card?
martyc

I just received a replacment Blackberry Tour due to a trackball issue.  It appears the backup assistant doesn't work with the Tour is that accurate?  I'm unclear if I can take the SIM out of my old phone and put it in the new one before I return the old one.   Also, my old phone has a Sandisk 2GB card in it that isn't in the new one.  Any issues with me putting it in new one?  Finally, I did play with the SIM card and it appears it doesn't come out easily.  If replacing the card is advised to transfer my contacts, are there any tricks to trade to taking it out?

thx in adv

marty

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I replace my SIM card?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
Out of the box the SIM card really isn't for transferring your contacts. Most likely you only entered your contacts in the device memory, not the SIM card. You can verify this by pulling up your contacts list, hitting the Blackberry menu button and selecting SIM phone book. It will display all the entries in that phonebook, one is there by default; global support. There are two easy way to transfer your contacts. The most common way with Blackberry devices is to use Blackberry Desktop Manager. You can do a simple back up of the old device and restore to the new device, or you can use the device transfer wizard. Or a third party solution and a great way to have a constant back up is to download Google Sync. This will store your contacts on Google's servers and it backs it up daily when there's any changes. Moving both the memory card and SIM card to the new phone is a safe move. You'll have to take out your battery to remove the SIM card, just use your finger to push it from the bottom and push up.
0 Likes
Re: Can I replace my SIM card?
martyc

Thanks for suggestion on google sync.  Installing now and should provide me the alternative to backup assistant.  Doesn't sound like any reason to switch SIM cards if contacts aren't there unless I'm missing something.  Cust service rep that I used when getting the replacement phone agreed with me that switching SIM cards was a good idea when I suggested it to transfer contacts so not sure why that confusion existed.  Sure will be nice not to have a track ball that is constantly sticking.

0 Likes