Can not upgrade Storm 1 OS.
cabrilo

I do not own a PC, and my Mac is apparently too old (10.4.11) to install desktop manager and upgrade the OS to 5.x on my Storm. If I bring my Storm into my local Verizon store, would you be able to upgrade my OS?

Thank you 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Can not upgrade Storm 1 OS.
EdMart
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes!  My son was having a problem installing the new OS from his old and slow PC.  The local Verizon Wireless store did it for him, no charge.

0 Likes
cabrilo

Great! Thank you. i will give it a shot. 

0 Likes
rookietrader
Enthusiast - Level 3

cabrilo wrote:

I do not own a PC, and my Mac is apparently too old (10.4.11) to install desktop manager and upgrade the OS to 5.x on my Storm. If I bring my Storm into my local Verizon store, would you be able to upgrade my OS?

Thank you 

if you dont want to take to the verizon store you can download ota. go to options,advanced options,wireless update. warning it may take an hr or 2 to download. do it late at night when you dont need your phone.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

rookietrader wrote:

cabrilo wrote:

Thank you 

if you dont want to take to the verizon store you can download ota. go to options,advanced options,wireless update. warning it may take an hr or 2 to download. do it late at night when you dont need your phone.

Hi,

I would not recommend doing an Over the Air (OTA) update until you have backed up your device's data.  I would find a friend or relative with a computer who would allow you to at least back up your device.  Once you data is gone, that's it.

Doc

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

This update is not supposed to be available OTA, has anyone successfully completed the update this way?  StreetDoc is correct though, if you are able to do this OTA then PLEASE back up your phone, there have been tons of folks with issues losing contacts and other things, you don't want to be one of those folks who didn't back up!!  If you have the time take it into the store, let us back it up and do the download, it'll take about 2 hours and that's if they get you right in.  I'd call ahead and see if you can set up an appointment.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Michele-VzW wrote:

This update is not supposed to be available OTA, has anyone successfully completed the update this way?  StreetDoc is correct though, if you are able to do this OTA then PLEASE back up your phone, there have been tons of folks with issues losing contacts and other things, you don't want to be one of those folks who didn't back up!!  If you have the time take it into the store, let us back it up and do the download, it'll take about 2 hours and that's if they get you right in.  I'd call ahead and see if you can set up an appointment.

The wireless update on mine always showed no update available when 5.0 was released.  So I don't see how anyone is doing it.  Are we getting OTA and thru the web confused?

And another note, 2 hours to upgrade, WOW.  I downloaded,wiped the device,shrunk the OS, installed, and had my apps (very few) back on in less than an hour...................

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You are correct, there is no OTA wireless upgrade for the Storm available.  It must be done through Blackberry Desktop Manager.  It can take a long time to upgrade if you have a lot of apps.  The restore phase is what takes a while.  Just make sure it is not interrupted, or it will mess up the installation. 

Doc

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

SFObrien wrote:

Michele-VzW wrote:

The wireless update on mine always showed no update available when 5.0 was released.  So I don't see how anyone is doing it.  Are we getting OTA and thru the web confused?

And another note, 2 hours to upgrade, WOW.  I downloaded,wiped the device,shrunk the OS, installed, and had my apps (very few) back on in less than an hour...................

Official word on this is it could take up to 2 hours, it really depends on how much is on your phone.  I think you're right about getting OTA and web confused...no one should have gotten an OTA it wasn't released to my knowledge but I like to give the benefit of the doubt before dispelling completely.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Michele-VzW wrote:

SFObrien wrote:

Michele-VzW wrote:

Official word on this is it could take up to 2 hours, it really depends on how much is on your phone.  I think you're right about getting OTA and web confused...no one should have gotten an OTA it wasn't released to my knowledge but I like to give the benefit of the doubt before dispelling completely.

I did shrink about 30mb's or so off mine too.  I'm sure that cut some of the time out.  I have never loaded a full OS so really can't compare.

0 Likes