Cannot make calls or text, data is fine.
Brian_McKinnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, at about 4 PM central time yesterday, I stopped bing able to make or receive calls or texts. My data still works fine. I can go to websites and receive e-mails and facebook notifications.

I've tried a lot of things, When I go to Manage Connections, then services status, it says:

"Mobile Voice

Connection: Mobile Network"

I also went to mobile network options and found a diagnostics test in the menu, so I ran that, and everything went ok. I have 5/5 bars of signal with a 1XEV beside it.

But when I try to make a call, it says (immediately) "CALL FAILED please try again". When I try to text, it has a red square clock-ish looking icon, then after flashing around 4 times, it says, "Retries exceeded" with a red X icon.

I also didn't know if it would help anything, so i went to advanced options and host routing table, and tried registering one of them, it said registration successful.

One other thing I tried was dialing *228 but that didn't work either, just said call failed and registration was unsuccessful. 

Any ideas? I'd call verizon... but my phone doesnt work.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot make calls or text, data is fine.
Brian_McKinnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright, I took out the Verizon SIM card, and now it works.

At least I'm assuming its a sim card, it is below (not underneath) the battery and to the left of the micro SD slot. And on the Card it says Verizon wireless vodafon; with some numbers and a gold connector plate thing on the back.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Try a battery pull and leave it out for at least 1 minute.  Then put it back and allow your device to restart.  See if it works then.

Doc

0 Likes
Brian_McKinnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

No luck on the battery pull :smileysad:

I forgot to say I'd already tried that twice,  but I did it a third time for you, and it still isn't working. :smileysad:

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Check in Options>Mobile Network.  Make sure Network Selection Mode is set to Automatic and Network technology is set to 1XEV.  Mobile Network should have next to it Verizon Wireless.  Other than that, I would take it to a Verizon store.

Doc

0 Likes
Brian_McKinnon
Enthusiast - Level 2
I can't make it to a Verizon store today, do you have any other ideas?
0 Likes
Brian_McKinnon
Enthusiast - Level 2
Also, i checked all those settings and it still didn't work, so I did a security wipe and deleted everything. Still not working. I'm going to fiddle around on the vzw account website in the mean time. I read somewhere that someone on another carrier was having a similar problem because the ESN on the Verizon website was wrong. Doesn't make sense to me why my data would still be working, but I'll try anything.
0 Likes
Brian_McKinnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just updating:  Messing around on the verizon account website resulted in no luck. Tried chatting with support since i dont have a phone to call with, that was frustrating. They should hire and train me and let me handle technical support via chat. The option in chat says they handle tech support, but the lady said tech support is only available via phone.

Just ranting, sorry. Just wish there was a way to get my phone working without having to go to the store (car battery is messed up and drains in the winter, and fiance is gone so I don't have someone to jump me off, i'm not being lazy :smileywink: )

0 Likes
Brian_McKinnon
Enthusiast - Level 2

At least I'm assuming its a sim card, it is below (not underneath) the battery and to the left of the micro SD slot. And on the Card it says Verizon wireless vodafon; with some numbers and a gold connector plate thing on the back.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Brian_McKinnon wrote:

Somehow you activated your SIM to work on another network and that was causing conflict with the Verizon voice connection (very strange).  The SIM in your Tour is typically only for overseas use. 

My recommendation is that you flip the SIM backwards (gold facing out) so that it is not active in your phone until you need it.  This will help prevent this from re-occurring.

Glad you got it working.

0 Likes
bennetgr

Which model blackberry do you have? I am now having the same exact problem but cannot locate where you have removed the sim card from. I have a curve 8530.

0 Likes