Cannot set up Outlook Web Access (Exchange)
brianrr

I'm trying to set up an email account through Outlook Web Access (Exchange) on my BB Bold 9650. I've been trying to set it up on my phone, because I can't access my email accounts through the we anymore.

I've followed the instructions exactly, providing the correct username and password.  The "Mailbox name" field is a mystery. There's nothing corresponding to it on the MS Web Access site. The tech support  for the site told to enter anything there, which I've done.

Thank you.

Brian

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cannot set up Outlook Web Access (Exchange)
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mailbox name is simply a name to identify it to you on your phone - call it whatever you want.  When you highlight it with the trackpad, it's the name that shows in the address bar on the phone.

In order to receive mail with the Exchange server, you need to have BES enabled ($45 / month) rather than the "standard" BIS.

The $29.99 Email & Web for Blackberry is called BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). This gives you data access for web browsing and up to 10 personal email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, Verizon.net..etc). This service is configured by you, directly on the device.

The $44.99 BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) is Blackberry's corporate solution. It also includes data access, but you only need this data plan if you need your work email and they use a BES or Microsoft Exchange Server. This type of service is configured by your IT Administrator and controlled remotely.

To sum it up, both provide total unlimited data access on your Blackberry, but the $29.99 BIS is for personal email only and the $44.99 BES is for corporate email only.
(Thank you nmchileman!)

Your statement about not being able to access your email via the web any longer puzzles me - if you can't access it on the web, then it seems to me it owuldn't be accessible on the phone either???  Did I misunderstand something?

0 Likes
brianrr

Thanks very much for clearing that up.

If I need to upgrade to BES, can I do that on the Verizon website? I've been having trouble finding any information on that. All of the more expensive data plans labelled "personal" or something similar.

I should have typed "net" not "web." Sorry for the confusion.

Your reply was very thorough and clear. I wish all of the information was like that.

Thank you for your help.

Brian

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi brianrr,

Thank you to SuzyQ for the excellent contribution to the forum to assist. 

I wanted to ask if you have been able to change the data package on your Blackberry and set up your Outlook Exchange email? 

If you need further assistance with this process, please feel free to send me a PM including your name, mobile number, and a contact number. I will be happy to reach out to you personally to ensure this is resolved for you. 

Thanks very much,

0 Likes
Not applicable

Brianrr, I just want to add a few things. I would first suggest contacting your company to verify how the email is setup. It is possible your company has a Microsoft Exchange Server, but not a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES). These are two separate entities. If your company has a BES, you will need the $44.99 plan and setup the email through the Enterprise Server setup. If not, you can keep the $29.99 plan. For the mailbox name, you need to sign into your Outlook Web Access account and hover over the Inbox folder at the top left corner. You should also see it from the task pane at the bottom of the screen. You can also get this from your company's IT department.

0 Likes