Content Filter
familyphone

Hi,

A little while ago, we purchased a Blackberry storm for our son.  It seemed like a good feature rich choice, and we were pleased with the content filters we could apply, which we did.

Imagine our surprise when that Blackberry was still able to access very inappropriate material.  We have contacted Verizon customer support, and the answer we get seems to depend on whom we talk to,  Some folks say it should work, the others say it won't work on smart phone,

I  can't seem to find anyplace online where it says it won't work on a smart phone, but given the fact that it doesn't seem to work, I have to think this is correct.

I have looked for a local app I could run which would be a content blocker, but the only thing I can find are spy programs..

So, I suppose my questions are:

1) Is it correct that the Verizon Content Filter won't work with Blackberries?

2) If so why?

3) Are there any options for a local content blocker app that I am missing?

I guess if I have no other options, I will have to replace the phone with one on which filtering works, but I'd like to make sure that is true before I go to that length.

Thank you for any help or information

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Content Filter
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.  You have a great question and I think I found an answer for you.  You can go to http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/content_filtering.html to learn more about content filtering.  As you can see from the FAQs regarding which devices will the filtering work, the FAQ states:

Content Filtering works on most mobile phones, most PDAs and most PC cards. However, it will not work on any device with a static IP address or on search results provided through the Get It Now search capability.

Additionally, the music filtering capabilities of the service do not work on devices with V CAST Music v01.0 or v01.01 software. You can check if your device is using the v01.0 or v01.01 software by launching V CAST Music on your device, selecting Help and scrolling to the bottom of the screen to find the About V CAST Music version number. Also, the Internet filtering capabilities of the service will not work with devices utilizing Wi-Fi, Mobile Web 1.0, or on devices that use the Venturi data compression software, including phones tethered to PCs or PC cards, unless the compression software is turned off or on BlackBerry devices. Additionally, Content Filtering may not work outside the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area.

So you can see the filtering will not work with the Blackberry devices or with any phone with WiFi.  You might be able to find some software that will enable you to filter content by doing a Google Search for Blackberry content filtering software.  There was a program Blackberry had called Blackberry Unite which would do everything you want.  Blackberry did away with the software.  I never understood why because it was a great program for controlling your family's phones via your PC.  Anyways, there are a few programs out there, and the good ones you will have to pay a few dollars for it.  I hope this helps you.

Doc

0 Likes
familyphone

Hi Doc,

I may be a terrible Googler, but I was unable to find a piece of software that would work..

Would you mind providing a link?

I am at my wits end here..

Thanks!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I can not post links for 3rd party software here in the forums, as that is a violation of the Terms of Service.  However, I can send you a private message giving you more information.  For more info on how to use the private messages feature of the forums, go to http://community.vzw.com/t5/Community-Beat/Community-Tips-Private-Messages/ba-p/195096 for more.  Hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes
LeonardM
Enthusiast - Level 3

@familyphone

1) Is it correct that the Verizon Content Filter won't work with Blackberries?

- only web filtering does not work on BlackBerry devices

- songid, vcast music, vcast videos, short codes, vcast app store are filtered

2) If so why?

- the BlackBerry was a dominant business device and only recently has come into children's hands and Verizon is working to content filter the web as well. BlackBerry has its own proprietery web service unlike Android, Palm or WindowsMobile phones which use the Verizon web service which is filtered.

0 Likes