Could my Blackberry Curve 8530 have been cloned?!?!?!
Jonesy33

Quick and dirty: Phone has been doing weird things like freezing and not allowing me to answer calls, clock timer showing up randomly for no reason, lighting up randomly when it has not been used a while, etc.  So today I decided to look at my bill and check my usage. I have unlimited text and data plan so I never have bothered to look before and yes it has been almost 2 years. So I look at the data usage which is extremely high between 1 and 4 am when I am asleep.  I also see text messages sent and received that are not not my phone and are for numbers I don't even know! Prime example, a total of 12 texts were sent and received beginning at 2:35 am this morning when I was asleep in my hotel room with my phone on the table charging! I admit I have on occasion left it at restaurants or other places during the last 2 years. And the Bluetooth has been active on it although I don't know why since I don't use Bluetooth.  My available memory is great so I know it isn't timing out due to memory issues. Can blackberries be cloned?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Could my Blackberry Curve 8530 have been cloned?!?!?!
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You need to call customer service as soon as possible.  To answer your question, any wireless device can be cloned.  If you have mysterious charges on your bill then you should speak with customer support.  I hope they can help you figure out the problem.

Doc

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

I believe the 8530 has WiFi and if you are using the hotel 'free' WiFi someone could be accessing your BB since the WiFi connection is open. Just a theory and that was the depth of my narrow understanding of open WiFi connections, lol.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Jonesy33 wrote:

Quick and dirty: Phone has been doing weird things like freezing and not allowing me to answer calls, clock timer showing up randomly for no reason, lighting up randomly when it has not been used a while, etc.  So today I decided to look at my bill and check my usage. I have unlimited text and data plan so I never have bothered to look before and yes it has been almost 2 years. So I look at the data usage which is extremely high between 1 and 4 am when I am asleep.  I also see text messages sent and received that are not not my phone and are for numbers I don't even know! Prime example, a total of 12 texts were sent and received beginning at 2:35 am this morning when I was asleep in my hotel room with my phone on the table charging! I admit I have on occasion left it at restaurants or other places during the last 2 years. And the Bluetooth has been active on it although I don't know why since I don't use Bluetooth.  My available memory is great so I know it isn't timing out due to memory issues. Can blackberries be cloned?

Thank you for your inquiry. Adding to what was stated, per your comments it does not sound like your phone has been cloned.  Data usage can occur unless you have completely powered off your device. Even at night in the background, an App can be running on the device and still connected with a link to the last site you visited. This has happened to me when I did not end my data session on a website with just sitting my device down. The screen powered off but the device was still connected to the internet. Please ensure your device is completely power cycled off and on to end the data session. Perhaps power off the device completely or end the data task ensuring no data is running in the background of the phone. As far as the messages, you could still receive them from unknown numbers. You could try to reply to one of the messages to see how the person got your number. You could advise them they have the wrong number. You can even block the numbers preventing them from sending you text messages. Simply log into my Verizon and locate the tab for call and message blocking. If you do not use the Bluetooth, you can disable it if needed. Please use this link website for support with your device: http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5091&m=

0 Likes