Curve 8530 and photos without media card?
JMB
Enthusiast - Level 3

An acquaintance replaced her Curve 8530 with a Droid and wants to get her photos off the Curve. She has never installed BB Desktop nor backed up her photos before. She claims she has no media card in it but I wonder if you can save photos without one and I'm not there to check out her phone myself right now.

So my 2 questions  are 1) If you do not add a micro-SD card, can you still take and store photos? (I wonder if she has a card and doesn't know it). And 2) If it is possible without a media card, how can she download her photos to her computer? (If it's a media card, I know what to do)

TIA

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Curve 8530 and photos without media card?
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

In this case, she would need to download the Desktop Manager, since the pictures are on the device and not on a memory card. Here is a link for Desktop Manager:

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

If she does find a memory card (beneath the battery once removing the back), then Desktop Manager does not need to be downloaded, as it can be done in "Mass Storage" mode following the steps in the previous posting.

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

JMB wrote:

An acquaintance replaced her Curve 8530 with a Droid and wants to get her photos off the Curve. She has never installed BB Desktop nor backed up her photos before. She claims she has no media card in it but I wonder if you can save photos without one and I'm not there to check out her phone myself right now.

So my 2 questions  are 1) If you do not add a micro-SD card, can you still take and store photos? (I wonder if she has a card and doesn't know it). And 2) If it is possible without a media card, how can she download her photos to her computer? (If it's a media card, I know what to do)

TIA

To answer your questions, yes you can store photos without a media card.  There is a limited amount of memory available in the phone for media storage.  Without a media card, the easiest method would have been for her to email the photos to an account accessed on a PC.  Of course I am guessing that option is probably no longer available.

While I do not have a Curve 8530, I am guessing they came loaded with a micro SD card and your friend just doesn't realize it is there.  I also guess the new Droid has one that could be used to access the 8530 files if necessary.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi JMB,

I have great news! Your friend is able to transfer pictures from the 8530 to a PC using the USB cable that was sent with the phone. This device did not come with a memory card pre-installed, so the pictures are being saved using the internal memory on the device. 

Simply use the USB cable and connect it to the PC. A box will pop up, recognizing the device. You will be able to save the pictures in your file of pictures on the PC, or you can create a separate file for only the pictures from the device. 

I hope this information is helpful. Have a good day,

0 Likes
JMB
Enthusiast - Level 3

ChristinaB_VZW: Will this occur even if she doesn't install the BB desktop software? If so I'll pass on the info and she'll try it out. Thanks :-)))

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

In this case, she would need to download the Desktop Manager, since the pictures are on the device and not on a memory card. Here is a link for Desktop Manager:

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

If she does find a memory card (beneath the battery once removing the back), then Desktop Manager does not need to be downloaded, as it can be done in "Mass Storage" mode following the steps in the previous posting.

Hope this helps! 

0 Likes