DOWNSIZING FROM A BLACKBERRY
topgun-laf

I have been using  BB's  for over 10 years. I am now retired and don't have the need for many of its functions and features. I am considering switching to a SAMSUNG Rogue. Currently, I just need cell phone service, easy to manage address book ( 500+ contacts), email capability, easy to manage calendar, limited texting capability and internet access. Any alternative devices, thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: DOWNSIZING FROM A BLACKBERRY
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

Perhaps what you want would be a 3G Multimedia phone?  One such as the LG enV3 would do the trick.  It does not require the $30 dollar per month data charge, but does require the $9.99 monthly data charge.  It would be able to do all of what you want and seems to be very popular.

Doc

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Congrats on your retirement.

I tried downsizing from a BlackBerry to an enV3, and while I liked most features on it, if you want it for web browsing, as you mentioned, the enV3 may not be the phone for you. The browser is slow and hard to navigate, coming from a trackball. For instance, to scroll down a page, you have to use the circular toggle and move down line by line!

I've not tried the Rogue. That might be a good option. Was your BB a touch-screen?

Best of luck. I thought I didn't need a smartphone anymore (I work from home and always have two computers nearby), but I really missed my BB and how fast and easy things were on it. I didn't want to worry about how many MB I was using, when I was used to an unlimited package. And by the time I would purchase a few games and a texting package, the costs were creeping up to my monthly BB plan anyway. If you can do it, however, I envy your smaller bill!

0 Likes
kwjones
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well if you're downgrading i would go with a droid phone like the HTC Eric.  you can easily manage email, browse the net with an experience of a desktop  browser, download lots of free apps, watch youtube and listen to music. 

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Going to an HTC really isnt a downsize though.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I think the Eris is a great phone. As the previous poster said, it's not a downgrade though, as it'll cost the same per month as a BlackBerry plan.

0 Likes
topgun-laf

Doc,

Thanks, I'll liook into that option....

Topgun

0 Likes
topgun-laf

SydneyK,

I appreciate your feedback and experience with LG env phone. I'll try and compare it with the Rogue to see if either is acceptable for web browsing. My current BB is an 8330, no touch screen. 

Topgun  

0 Likes
topgun-laf

I've looked at the Drooid type phones and as others have indicated this wouldn't be downsizing since the cost would be the same as a BB.

0 Likes
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

Right, because all of the smartphones including Blackberry will all rate at the same prices a month for the data packages. So, downsizing would actually bring you to a simple phone that has a data package priced at $9.99. So if you'd like, you can consider that option.

0 Likes