Data Plan requirements are absurd.
locoskier7

Recently I ascertained the old BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230 for a reasonable price. For some reason the fact that it is an old device no longer currently offered by Verizon, the thought of it requiring a data plan didn't even cross my mind.

Let me start on this, I do not believe in data plans. They are over priced, useless, and quite frankly there's a lot of other ways to get something without paying a ridiculous amount of money for a ridiculously small bandwidth cap. Here's a fact for you.

-The advertised reason for why Verizon made data plans required was because consumers were using data heavily without a data plan, and then getting charged for it later. People made vast complaints about these "excess" charges without realizing they were to blame

Unlike the many consumers before, I am not an idiot. I understand what uses data, and what doesn't. On top of that, I DO NOT CARE for the applications given. All I want is a phone that doesn't constantly breakdown, and has a decent keyboard as compared to verizons currently GOD AWFUL dumb phone offerings.

ADDITIONALLY, one should be asking "Why is Verizon requiring a data plan for a device that is clearly way past it's prime??" Not to angst on my new phone, but it is old. It's slow. And as a data using phone, it will consistently rank in last place when compared to Verizon's current offerings. So here is my quandry.

Why is Verizon requiring me to have a data plan for a phone that is clearly a piece of crap?

Why should I have to pay for something that I WILL NEVER USE because I am not an idiot consumer?

I'm tired of my other phones breaking down, and I just want to use the old Pearl Flip as a dumb phone, so why the hell can't I do that?

Assistance in the activation of this device WITHOUT A DATA PLAN is the top priority here. If I really wanted a data plan, I wouldn't be trying to use it on a 2 year old device. I would go buy one of the newest data phones. Good god.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data Plan requirements are absurd.
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

smartphone require data plans on verizon's network, Trying to argue that is going to get you no where, and give you a headache.

0 Likes
locoskier7

And you're telling me that the old blackberry flip could even still be considered a smartphone? As if.

There's a certain point where you need to say "No. This is no longer a smartphone. This is a piece of crap."

0 Likes
WoodHokie4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here-Here!

I'm in the same boat.  I have the oportunity to purchase the same device for less than 25 big ones and would just want it for its quality construction and programming....in addition to it's texting capabilities and large screne.....but I refuse to pay for the redundantly expensive data plan currently required for all "Smart" phones. 

There is a loop-hole that if you purchase a phone that was released prior to 11/2008, you can block the data package, regardless of the intellegence level of your phone.  The Samsung SCH-i760, for example, was an option i explored for a couple months, but quickly went back to my newer, dumb-phone, model because it was just not a good fit.  But seriously, it's 2011, almost 2012...why should we be forced to look up phones from 4 years ago in order to find something of any decent quality??? 

0 Likes
haysouse

That sucks, have you tried again to make sure it wasn't a {please keep your posts courteous} rep?

I would try activating a real dumbphone, then switch over to the Flip.  There are some near-free ($0.01) dumbphones available on Amazon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

haysouse wrote:

That sucks, have you tried again to make sure it wasn't a{please keep your posts courteous} rep?

I would try activating a real dumbphone, then switch over to the Flip.  There are some near-free dumbphones available on Amazon.

If the device was released PRIOR to November 2008 then it doesn't need a data plan.  The phone you have was released in July of 2009 so it does require a mandatory data plan.

To say that the phone is "past it's prime" doesn't mean it's not a smartphone.  The software it runs isn't that old compared to the BB coming out today.  So all BB shouldn't be considered a smartphone :smileyhappy:

0 Likes