Data Usage at weird times
kelele65

I have noticed on my bill that there are data usages registering at weird times of night (like 3am) when no one is using the phone at all ... anyone know why that is???? Have I been  hacked or maybe Verizon is sending data updates???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data Usage at weird times
Fverizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got the same thing going on.  3am and 4am data usage when I the only apps I have running are phone, clock, and messages and all notifications turned off.  7 times it happened this month.  5 of those times I was even connected to the Wi-Fi in my house.  Recently my phone used 90MB of data in one go at 4am!!!  That's a third of my data package and totally put me over my data allowance.  Hopefully someone in customer service has an answer for me tomorrow.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! I do hope that your questions about data usage were answered. If not, allow me to provide some comment on the device and how it uses data. Many times, Smartphones will make connections to the data network to seek updates for applications or check for new email. Even with the notifications disabled, the phone will still seek updates. If you would rather not have your phone making data connections during down periods, you may wish to disable data capability during those times. If you're not sure how, please let me know the model of phone you have and I'll share the steps with you. Thanks!

Dion M.
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Fverizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Let's say my phone is looking for updates... I'm connected to Wi-Fi at my

house at all times so I shouldn't be getting any data usage charges at

all. Figure that one out for me and then get back to me. Not to mention I

turn off all of my applications at night except for my phone and messages

in order to conserve my battery life. My phone also doesn't automatically

download updates, so when my phone uses 90MB at 4am while I am connected to

Wi-Fi I am a little suspicious of the activity going on.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
azhalvy13

I'm having the same issue...random data hits when I'm home and connected via wifi...Called tech support - No help..

I think it's funny how Verizon ignores questions like this when they come up.  I've looked thru this forum and any question that addresses this goes unanswered, well, just like this one.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi azhalvy13,

I certainly do not want you to feel that we would ignore your post!  What type of phone are you using?  Have you checked the Wi-Fi settings to make sure there is not a "sleep" policy in effect?  This will disable the Wi-Fi connection automatically without you realizing it as the screen will be off.  I would be glad to provide additional support if needed. 

Thank You,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes