Does anyone know if the Blackberry Style 9670 can be used with Verizon?
Padres2014

I love the flip phones and want to get the BB 9670 or BB Pearl Flip 8230.  The problem with the 8230 is that it does not have wi-fi.  Does anyone know if the 9670 can run on Verizons network?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does anyone know if the Blackberry Style 9670 can be used with Verizon?
OldPuma
Enthusiast - Level 1

The 8230 will work with the internet, but website rendering is not as good as it was with the device was new, as website coding for most internet sites have evolved to work with newer platforms.  Also, threaded SMS is not available on the 8230, without using a third-party app.  So, the experience is not very enjoyable.

You can download leaked OS version 5 for the 8230 (if you can find it), but it takes wiping the installed OS (version 4) off of the device using a third-party app.  The only benefit this gives you is threaded SMS, but in doing so, removes the external (closed flip) screen notifications for SMS and MMS messages, and keeps the browser from being updated, but it isn't really an upgrade at all.

If you can live without a modern functioning internet browser (meaning site rendering/compatibility) and threaded SMS/MMS, the 8230 is a good device.  Radio reception is really good (no LTE, obviously), and sound quality on calls is superior (in my opinion) to the iPhone (I have an 8230 and an iPhone 5S, and have had an iPhone 4S).

Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

The 9670 was never released on Verizon.  So, no it will not work on Verizon.

0 Likes
Padres2014

Do you know if the BB Pearl Flip 8230 has the internet.  It says it has a Blackberry Browser.  I am not sure what that is.  Thank you for your help!!!

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Yes.  The BlackBerry Browser is "the internet".

A BlackBerry will require that you have a BlackBerry Data Plan with Verizon.

Note that that phone is ANCIENT.  It does not have a lot of on-board memory which will limit the number of apps and such that can be installed.  Also, since it is so old, you will be limited on updating the device OS.

The BlackBerry flip phones were not really very good phones, unfortunately, so you might not be happy with the device.

0 Likes
OldPuma
Enthusiast - Level 1

The 8230 will work with the internet, but website rendering is not as good as it was with the device was new, as website coding for most internet sites have evolved to work with newer platforms.  Also, threaded SMS is not available on the 8230, without using a third-party app.  So, the experience is not very enjoyable.

You can download leaked OS version 5 for the 8230 (if you can find it), but it takes wiping the installed OS (version 4) off of the device using a third-party app.  The only benefit this gives you is threaded SMS, but in doing so, removes the external (closed flip) screen notifications for SMS and MMS messages, and keeps the browser from being updated, but it isn't really an upgrade at all.

If you can live without a modern functioning internet browser (meaning site rendering/compatibility) and threaded SMS/MMS, the 8230 is a good device.  Radio reception is really good (no LTE, obviously), and sound quality on calls is superior (in my opinion) to the iPhone (I have an 8230 and an iPhone 5S, and have had an iPhone 4S).

Good luck!

0 Likes