Email setup
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm trying to add a third email address to my Bold 9650 and have run into a problem.  The first two were email addressess from common carriers but the third is from my company and uses special ports and encryption.

When I try to add it, I'm never prompted for a port or the encryption method so I can't get it to work.  Is this possible or is email on the Bold restricted to common email accounts like Yahoo and Hotmail?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Email setup
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I attached a document from Blackberry that is a .pdf concering adding all types of email accounts.  You may want to browse through it and see if anything applies to your needs.  I hope you get this issue resolved soon.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You can go into your Email Setup to the email address you want to configure.  Once there, if you have the port and server information from your employer, you can edit your email address on your Blackberry, adding the port and server info.  Hope that helps.

Doc

0 Likes
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you mention going into Email Setup, are you referring to the Email Setup on the phone or somewhere else?  If I go into Email Setup on the phone and try to add the address, the setup always fails.  So there is no address to go back to to change the settings.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You can have both personal and work email accounts on your Blackberry device.  Have you checked with your company's technical department to see if they can help with placing the work email account on your device?  I will see if I can get one of the Verizon folks to send you a private message and maybe they can be of more help to you.  I'm sure they can be of more help. 

Doc

0 Likes
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I'd appreciate the help.

0 Likes
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks to the community for the replies.

The work email may use a BES server. You may need to be on the 44.99 data plan for corporate email. Your IT department would let you know that information. Once they place you in their server to activate Options>advanced options> Enterprise activation.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

JoeL_VZW wrote:

Thanks to the community for the replies.

The work email may use a BES server. You may need to be on the 44.99 data plan for corporate email. Your IT department would let you know that information. Once they place you in their server to activate Options>advanced options> Enterprise activation.

Good point, JoeL_VZW.  I did not even think about that.  Original Poster, please keep us updated on the progress of your problem.  Thanks,

Doc

0 Likes
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

My understanding is that I only need BES if I want to also sync contacts and calendars. Correct?  I don't.  All I want to do is add an IMAP email account that happen to have special port and encryption settings.

I tried using the setup for BIS to see if that would work but no luck.  If I try from a PC, I get an error message saying that I can't use the browser, try my device instead.  If I try using the Blackberry, I go into an infinite loop where it keeps going back to the BIS setup screen for adding a new user.  No errors, no messages, it just loops back to the setup screen.

It shouldn't be this hard to add an email address.  Not everyone uses AOL, Yahoo, or Hotmail for emails!

0 Likes
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, after dozens of attempts, I finally gave up trying to add my work email address. 

I set the office email to forward a copy of each email to one of the accounts that was already set up.  Not the best solution but at least I can see my emails.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

As Joel expained in an earlier post, you will need the BES Blackberry data plan, which is $44.95.  It does sync your information as you stated in your previous post, but it is required for connecting with your work email address.  The reason is probably because they are using an Exchange-type of server.  The way you have your email forwarded to another address will work so that you should be able to get emails sent to your work email address. 

Doc

0 Likes