FCC Launches Inquiry into Mobile Device Security Updates
rgray
Contributor - Level 1

I found this link on the PRIV forums on crackberry.com. FCC Launches Inquiry into Mobile Device Security Updates.

Here's an excerpt from one of the documents on the page

"Consumers may be left unprotected, for long periods of time or even indefinitely, by any delays inpatching vulnerabilities once they are discovered. To date, operating system providers, original equipment manufacturers, and mobile service providers have responded to address vulnerabilities as they arise. There are, however, significant delays in delivering patches to actual devices—and

that older devices may never be patched."

We could tweet @FCC and let them know our frustrations.

Just a thought

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: FCC Launches Inquiry into Mobile Device Security Updates
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Besides hitting @FCC on Twitter, here is the link to file a complaint.

FCC Complaints

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

I've already contacted Charles Mathias who is in charge of the investigation offering my testimony about our predicament.

rgray
Contributor - Level 1

Have you heard anything back from the FCC?

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

Yes. Verizon's action (or actually non-action) is not covered by the current FCC regulations for wireless carriers.  The FCC is fully aware that this is not acceptable for consumers and put together a committee to draft proposed regulations to protect consumers from this in the future.  I have been working with the FCC committee so I can't say anything more other than the wheels are in motion.  I tried to work with the VP of Verizon Wireless, but she dropped the ball.