Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Fraudulent and deceptive insurance sales
Deceived

It is with great discuss and disappointment that I write. While recently upgrading my service, the sales representative, Liza {edited for privacy} PA, recommended an insurance policy be taken out due to the nature of my business and the vulnerability of the Blackberry Curve.  She said and I quote: “All you have to do is bring back the broken phone and a new one will be replaced immediately.”  I inquired about water & physical damage. She assured me that all were to be covered under the policy. THERE WAS NO MENTION WHAT SO EVER about the $89.00 deductible. According to the Pennsylvania Insurance Code all premiums and deductibles must me disclosed by the licensed representative at the time of sale and specifically and clearly stated on the policy. I was made aware of ONLY the $7.99 monthly premium. There were NO details stating the policy coverage and deductible on Verizon Wireless Service Contract which I signed.

Yesterday, my Blackberry was damaged. Today, while at your store in our local shopping mall, the young sales representative showed me a never seen before sales brochure with the fine print stating the policy and deductible. I cannot say if this omission is deliberate and standard sales policy of Verizon Wireless, but to many this appears to be a highly deceptive and seemingly fraudulent tactic.

As a result of this intentionally deceptive tactic, as of this date: 02/07/2010, I feel compelled to request release, and without penalty from my bi-annual contract. Secondly, I demand a full refund of the initial cost involved with this including all upgrade fees and the cost of the phone. (Less the $100.00 rebate already received.)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Fraudulent and deceptive insurance sales
lalalamesss
Novice

...Ok... if it was a manufacturer's defect (NOT scratches, water, broken screen... etc.) it will be replaced free of charge. If not, you will get a like-new replacement (refurb) for $89. There must have been a cosmetic flaw that voided the warranty.

"THERE WAS NO MENTION WHAT SO EVER about the $89.00 deductible. According to the Pennsylvania Insurance Code all premiums and deductibles must me disclosed by the licensed representative at the time of sale and specifically and clearly stated on the policy. I was made aware of ONLY the $7.99 monthly premium. There were NO details stating the policy coverage and deductible on Verizon Wireless Service Contract which I signed. "

If you knew the "Pennsylvania Insurance Code" states the premium/deductible MUST be disclosed, why didn't you ask the rep about the deductible? LOLZ.

0 Likes
SydneyK

I don't think posting here will get you much in the way of resolution. However, I wanted to mention that when I bought my first BlackBerry in 2008 and got insurance (which I only ended up keeping for a couple of months anyway, total waste of money for some people), the sales rep never told me about a deductible either. Unfortunately, I believe that happens a lot in stores. I think I only learned later when I saw something on a message board. I don't recall even getting a copy of the insurance agreement ... I believe they told me to go to Assurion's site to print it.

Not that you asked, but do you think $8/month plus an $89 deductible is even worth it? I did the math and it did not seem like a good choice FOR ME. Now, for someone who leaves a Berry sitting on a bar or takes it to the beach, it might be worth it.

I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

0 Likes
cstrait001

Yes, I agree the deductible and premium should be disclosed at the point of sale. I can also verify that Asurion will automatically mail you a pamphlet with these details and more information on the service after a few weeks of enrolling/purchasing insurance for your handset. I received one after I purchased insurance on my daughter's first phone in November 2008.

Just like health, automotive, home/renter's insurance, expect to pay a deductibe when filing a claim.

0 Likes