Frustration
tmgivens1385

I've only been a verizon customer since around April. In that time I have had 4 or 5 Blackberry Curves ( I've lost count). Everytime I send one back the one they send me has the exact same problem as the one I sent back. My screen goes white and the whole thing freezes up making it completely unusable! I was having this problem long before tha blackberry outage and I have grown to hate this phone. I'm not eligable for an upgrade until december of next year and I cant afford to come out of pocket for a new phone. Verizon thus far has offered no solution but to make me wait 1-3 days for a new set of the same problem. I don't know what to do!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Frustration
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

tmgivens1385 wrote:

I've only been a verizon customer since around April. In that time I have had 4 or 5 Blackberry Curves ( I've lost count). Everytime I send one back the one they send me has the exact same problem as the one I sent back. My screen goes white and the whole thing freezes up making it completely unusable! Are you doing anything in particular when this happens?  Installing or using a particular app or function?  Browsing the web?  BBM or texting someone? Does it happen "randomly"?  One thing I have learned with my Blackberry is that, depending on how much I do with it, it needs a reset/reboot/battery pull every few days to free up memory and keep things running smoothly.  I'll notice a lag when I am texting or writing an email, and delays when opening apps - time to run QuickPull!!  Things improve noticeably after that....

I was having this problem long before tha blackberry outage and I have grown to hate this phone. I'm not eligable for an upgrade until december of next year and I cant afford to come out of pocket for a new phone. Verizon thus far has offered no solution but to make me wait 1-3 days for a new set of the same problem. I don't know what to do!

You may be able to find a phone that performs better for you on eBay, or from a friend, that you can get less expensively than a new phone.  Switching to a BB was an adjustment for me, and it does take a bit more attention than my "feature" phone, but on the whole it performs well.  I add one app at a time, use it for a few days to see how things go - remove it if things seem funky and try another similar app if I absolutely need the functionality.

I've installed games that made the phone behave strangely, seemingly unrelated to the game (the phone would act up when I wasn't even playing the game) - once I removed the game and rebooted, problem gone.  So I would look to apps installed, free memory available, apps running in the backgroulnd that may be conflicting....

Another thing, closing an app doesn't necessarily shut it down completely, you may have too much stuff running simultaneously causing it to freeze.  Use the BB Menu key to "Switch application" and see how much stuff is actually running.  I *think* I've ended stuff, but still see 10 or 12 things running.  There are only 5 essential things that need to be there:  Home, Browser, Phone, BBM and Messages, I think.  All the rest can be shut down.

HTH, or you can find a different phone inexpensively that will be a better fit.

0 Likes
Fisha

I've had blackberries since 2004. This isn't an adjustment in using a new phone!  I have never had this issue I'm having now with any of my blackberroes across 3 carriers with this constant reboot loop.  This is now the 5th or 6th post I've found here from customers, all within the last month or 2.  I'm on my second device and VZW can't figure out the problem.  Anyone had this fixed yet?

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Here is my experience and solution reference rebooting:

"I went through a several month period of time where my new BB 9650 would reboot every couple of hours. This went on for 4 months. Here is what I did to troubleshoot the problem (may be the same thing the OP is going through):

May be a corrupt 3rd party app or setting

1. Backup with BB DM. Reload Verizon OS without any 3rd party apps. Also, do not restore any preferences, options or settings, just the important stuff like emails, SMS, calendar and address book.

Still rebooting/freezing

2. Copy all SD card files/folders to your laptop. Reformat the SD card and copy everything back.

Still rebooting/freezing

3. May be a corrupt database. Create a free gmail account and add it to your BB. Go into your gmail setup on your BB and tell it to sync contacts and calendar. Once all your contacts and calendar are on the web version of gmail, turn off the sync on on your BB. Open DM and select Delete Data to delete all Calendar and Contact information. Once this is done, your address book and calendar should be empty. Next turn on the sync for both Contacts and Calendar in the gmail setup on your BB. This may take up to 30 minutes for everything to download. Once that is done, do a battery pull and *228.

You need to use gmail to restore your contacts and calendar because it seems that backing up and restoring with DM just puts the same corrupt database back on your BB. Go figure?!?"

0 Likes