Full Reboot?
mcf317

I feel that my performance is suffering from too many 3rd party apps.  Some of them are hard to delete permanently.

Anyone know how to do a "hard reboot" of a Blackberry to get it back in the same condition as it was right out of the box?  My information is backed up on my computer, so I won't lose it...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Full Reboot?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Click your Options icon > Security > General Settings. Then hit your menu button and select Wipe Handheld from the menu. Select the option to delete all 3rd party applications. Type in "blackberry" to confirm the request and it will start the wipe process. Takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes for it to completely reboot.

Once it reboots it should be completely devoid of any previous information. You want to make sure you reprogram your phone by dialing *228 option 1. 

To get your data services back go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table and hit your menu button. Select register now from the menu and you'll be registered again on the data network.

Restore your personal information and you should be good to go. A hardwipe can work wonders, especially if you download/delete applications a lot.

0 Likes
mcf317

I did all that and it wiped it clean.  Thanks.  Two follow up questions...

1.  "You want to make sure you reprogram your phone by dialing *228 option 1. "  What did you mean by this?

2.  I'm getting messages already, but I purposely chose NOT to set up an email account.  So what account are they going to?

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Sometimes when doing a hardwipe it will completely erase any programming information your phone had. Dialing *228 option 1 reprograms your phone with the phone number and other network information that is required for your phone to function correctly.

If you're already getting email messages then most likely what happened is whatever email account you set up previously on your device got pushed back to the phone after booting up. Your device has a specific PIN number that is registered on RIM's data servers. When the phone booted up with no email account settings RIM's network more than likely pushed whatever information was available for your PIN number.

This is done so that everytime you do a wipe you don't have to set up your email multiple times.

0 Likes