Future Blackberry User
coachtodd3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will be upgrading my phone next month to a Blackberry device.  A few questions for the "panel".  1.  For a first time Blackberry user would the 8530 Curve be the right choice?  2.  Why is there a price difference between the personal email vs.. the corporate email data plans?   Can anyone out there offer me some advice before I venture into another 2 year contract?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Future Blackberry User
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Hi and welcome! While I think the 8530 would be fine for a first BlackBerry, I would consider spending a bit more for the Bold. Reasons include a better camera with flash, more memory, and it will get the new OS 6 update, which should improve browsing. Over two years of ownership, the price difference is small, and the 8530 has been out for a while. However, if you just really like the Curve, go for it. Any BlackBerry you choose will be a great communication device. There's also a new 3G Curve releasing soon.

BlackBerry Internet Service, or BIS, for $29.99 would be for your own personal device. BlackBerry Enterprise Server, or BES, for $44.99 would be used if you were connecting to a corporate server. In that case your BlackBerry might be provided by your employer.

Let us know what you decide to get. And please let us know if we can be of further help as you learn the BlackBerry operating system. Enjoy!

0 Likes
coachtodd3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am hearing rumors of a new Curve 3G.  Does anyone have the details on that phone and when it will be available for purchase?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey, Coach,

Not sure on a date for that device, but I did notice yesterday they already have that device listed in the OS download page.  I guess that means it will be for sale really soon.

SydneyK really summed up the differences in BB devices really well.  I agree that for a little bit more, the original poster should go for the Bold.  The Bold has so much more to offer as far as "bells and whistles."  As far as BB devices go, they all do the same basic functions, email, contacts, messaging, etc. very well.

Doc

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
I just noticed the 9330 is available on Wal-Mart's site. I would never want to rely on WM for help with my phone, but you can see the specs and lots of images for each color (fucshia and charcoal). So this device should be available online and at Verizon stores very soon!
0 Likes
magicweaver

I MAY be a future BB user. I am also curious about the 3G Curve, but looking at the Bold for now.. Leaning  toward the Bold since I can touch it  :smileyhappy:.  My choice would end up being influenced by the keyboard.

I'm looking at Droids also. I wish Verizon had the Torch, that would satisfy my desire for a touch screen and a keyboard.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

To see specifications & comparisons of the different BlackBerry devices try www.blackberry.com.  I recommend the Bold 9650 but the new Curve 9330 would be an awesome alternative. 

Advantages of the Bold over the Curve 9330 include.

Higher resolution screen

Better Camera (Bold 3.2 MP, Curve 2.0 MP)

Camera Flash (Curve does not have a Flash)

Bold is a "World Phone" (Can be used on a GSM network)

Good luck with your new BlackBerry.

0 Likes