How Do I Get Rid of Bing
richie2846

I turned on my BB Curve this am and there is an icon on the screen labeled BING. I did not put it there or download it, I don't even know what it is.  All I know is that I would like to completely remove it from my BB because since it showed up my e-mails and web browser are much slower. I tried to hide it, but it still shows up as a ghost icon and takes up space on the main screen.

Please, what is it , how did it get there and more importantly how do I get rid of it ?

Thanks, richie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How Do I Get Rid of Bing
Geocritter

This has been discussed at length recently:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/BlackBerry-Devices/All-other-search-providers-removed-required-to-use-bi...

and

http://community.vzw.com/t5/BlackBerry-Devices/Remove-Bing/td-p/135857

The quick answer is: you can't.  Just hide the icon, set google as your search engine of choice (or whatever you want) as the homepage for your browser, and move on from there.

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Here is my solution. I did the same thing with BB Messenger, which I don't use & uses memory. Ditto for Facebook. Go into Options, Advanced Options, Service Book and delete them there. They will stay gone until you have to reset your device and then the service books get recreated. This is the only way I have found to at least temporarily delete them and free up that memory. If anyone has a more permanent solution, I'd love to know it too.

SoccerRef

0 Likes
Mlouser

Personally I think it is outrageous for Verizon to try to force us to use STUFF we don't want.  Or is that Microsoft?  Either way, we should be able to add or delete any app that makes our devices work more efficiently.

Check out KB20496 on the BB web site.

Technology should be used to improve our lives, not be used to sell more useless technology.

Mouser

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

I could not find KB20496 on the BlackBerry.com website.  Could you post a link?

0 Likes
mattk22359

Hi. I was a little suprised at this app showing up as well. However, I do have something positive to add...

After watching my son use voice activated internet searching for several months now on his iPhone, and seeing how quick, easy, and effective it was, I was dissappointed when I couldn't find anything equivelant on the storm until this Bing app.

Over the weekend I decided to give Bing search a fair shake and was actually really suprised at how well the voice search function worked. Amazingly well actually.

Once installed if you click the little symbol at the beginning of the search field (looks like a little face with sound waves coming out of it) you get an audible prompt that it is ready. You then speak whatever it is you want it to search for and then press "stop listening" and it first displays back to you what it thinks you said. You select the item and it searches. I have been amazed at how accurate and quick it is. After what must be 30 different searches I have to admit every single one was perfect. I soon started finding myself reaching for my phone while in stores and doing product searches, restaurant searches, etc. since it was so easy and no keyboarding was required.

I should also mention that the mapping tool (which includes traffic and directions) was very accurate in terms of identifying my location using GPS (more accurate than google was).

So, I hate to say it but much even to my own surprise I am not only happy with Bing search, this voice activated search is turning my blackberry into a much more useful tool! Sorry, probably not what those of you threatening law suits want to hear this but thought I'd share just in case you hadn't actually tried this out. (and no I don't work for VW Smiley Happy )

0 Likes
gkny2ga

I was wondering the same thing--I am a Google girl--and dislike Bing.  Thank you Soccer Ref for help! 

0 Likes