How do I know which Blackberry is right for me?
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

Hi All, I am looking to upgrade my phone, I currently have an Omnia i910, and I am thinking Blackberry is the way for me to go.  My question is which Blackberry?  The reason I am switching platforms is because the winmo os needs too much attention for me.  What I want in a phone is one that I can set up and use without constantly doing a soft/hard reset.  I don't want to to have to constantly be doing battery pulls either.   Can someone out there help me?  The things I love about my Omnia are the camera, and the ability to organize my schedule with it.  I absolutely must be able to sync with my Outlook 2007.   The things I don't like so much are the small font and the what seems like constant hard resets.  I have spoken to tech support and am currently waiting on my 3rd Omnia.  Thanks for any input.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I know which Blackberry is right for me?
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

All Blackberry's pretty much work the same way (Software wise) You need to go to a Verizon Store and play around with the Phones and decide which type of Blackberry fits your style, I started with a Pearl (Which I loved, Sweet little phone) and went to the Storm 1 after that, (Love the touch screen) It will depend on which you like, Keyboard or touch. But in any Case, You can't go wrong with a Berry!

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

Wow that was a quick response, thank you.  I should have stated that I have already played around with all the Blackberry, and the winmo phones for that matter.  My problem is I want the most stable phone around.  I know the form factor is a personal preference.  I am pretty confident I would be happy with either the Storm 2 or the Tour but which one is more stable?  Like I said I don't want to be doing any battery pulls or soft/hard resets.

Thanks.

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

I'm running A Storm 1 with the 5.0 software, I hardly ever have to pull the battery, I can go weeks with no problems. I don't think that's an issue anymore with the 5.0 software like it was with the 4.? Software. Example My storm had 25.5 mb of memory last night, Cradled it overnight to charge and this morning 34.5 mb memory free, cleaned the memory like it should and no need to pull battery.

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, sounds like it shouldn't matter which I go with like you said, just depends on personal preference.

0 Likes
RoniTalk
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recommend going to the forums on the Crackberry website. You'll be able to find out what issues plague each phone. i've never had a Storm or Tour. But if you decide the Storm, from what I've heard, Storm2 is a lot better than Storm1.

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, I will certainly look into that Forum.  I did take a look and that's how I decided that I was going to make the switch from winmo to Blackberry.  I must admit I am sad to leave the winmo family, I love my Omnia when it runs with no problems but once I have an issue I absolutely hate it.  My Husband hates it even more...

0 Likes
Devs_Advocate
Contributor - Level 1

I made the switch from the i910 to the storm 2 and haven't looked back.  I loved the Omnia for the integration with Windows and Outlook as well as the ease of use but got tired of the instability that particular phone had.  I also loved the Business card reader that comes standard and is the only thing I really miss about the phone.  Funny thing to me is to see you use the word stable.  That was my main reason for switching over to BlackBerry.  They have support for phones that are their first versions just as readily available as their new lineup. 

The learning curve when you switch to BB is not too steep, it just does things differently than you're used to.  I agree also with a previous poster to go and check out CrackBerry forums because there are lots of folks there that have lots of good information to share.  You'll have to come back and let us know which one you go with and how much you love it.  My wife went online and asked her friends why they hadn't turned me to the BB side long ago after having the S2 for a week.  Great devices!

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

The funny thing about the Omnia i910 is it was a replacement for a Dare I had that would randomly start the VZ Navigator in the middle to of the night when I was sleeping!  I went through 3 in a week all with the same problems.  The tech I spoke to offered either the Storm or the Omnia and at the time there were so many problems with the Storm I chose the Omnia, which was the more stable phone at the time, haha. It is so fustrating to chose a phone, I have been in and out of the store so many times and played with all the different phones it is completely mind boggling.  I would love the Omnia2 on paper, just like I love my Omnia when its working.  If I could manage to go back to a regular phone instead of smartphone I might be happier but I can't even conceive the idea of carrying 2 devices again and actually it would be more like 3 when you add the camera in.

0 Likes
Devs_Advocate
Contributor - Level 1

I research any tech purchase for a crazy amount of time to ensure that the device will meet all of my needs and will be the best fit.  It drives my wife crazy.  I relayed this story to her and she rolled around on the floor laughing.  I had the Motorola Q9c at first which I loved and it got broken via me dropping and kicking it about half a block down the street.  Their replacement for me was the Samsung Saga which had a horrible battery life and the first two units they sent me were broken.  I had to get in touch with the Executive level at the insurance place and they finally gave me a choice for a good replacement phone... The same choice you were handed and I chose the same phone for the same reason.  To her, that's hysterical... to me, I feel your pain.  Again, let us know how it turned out so I can let her know too.

0 Likes