Re: How do I know which Blackberry is right for me?
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

Okay, I am still up in the air about which device to get, I have just about decided on the S2 so I called Tech Support today with a couple of questions and the Tech I spoke to told me;

1. You should do regular battery pulls on the a blackberry device to reset the memory and

2. You should never leave the device on 24/7 as it is not good for the device, any device.

Now, I usually don't power down my device for several reasons.  I just need to know, is this accurate?

0 Likes
Geocritter

Yes on the first part (regular battery pulls; I've been told that by VZW techs to pull the battery at *least* once a week, even if there is no reason to, just to clear out the buffers, free up some memory, etc.

Not sure on the second; I'm wondering if they meant that you should never leave it PLUGGED IN to the charger 24/7, which is quite true.  You know how a lot of us used to leave our phones charging overnight?  Evidently, with most phones, and with BB's in particular, that's a NO-NO.  Plug it in for 2 or 3 hours, whatever it needs, charge it up, and then run it.

I've heard nothing about any problems whether it's simply ON 24/7, with the exception of maybe it should be powered off/on every so often to make sure that whatever updates from VZW, tower listings, whatever they push,  are incorporated.  I don't know about that for sure.

Someone please correct me if I'm off in left field...

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

Okay, this is crazy.  I don't have a blackberry so I am depending on this information coming from those of you who have one.  But I find it hard to believe that you would need to pull the battery to achieve this goal.  If you have to clear the files then wouldn't you have that as an option on the phone to clear the files?

Anyway, I will have to take this into consideration, this is one of the things I am trying to avoid by going blackberry.  On to the next item, she definitely told me that the phone should not be powered on 24/7 not plugged in. 

0 Likes
Devs_Advocate
Contributor - Level 1

Since I've had mine, I have pulled the battery once and that was when I was trying to see how many applications I could run simultaneously before it locked up.  Other than that, it has been running fine.  I just make sure to use the menu to select close when I am finished with a program.  It's been running fine for the past two weeks post pull.  As for the on 24hours thing, I haven't turned mine off yet and have never heard that before now.  For the battery pulls, I did think about getting the quick pull application to free up resources and have heard that it's just as good as pulling the battery but much faster and can be scheduled to do overnight.  The only thing stopping me so far is pure procrastination.

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Don't worry about the battery pull, with the new 5.0 software it's almost a none issue, Also My Storm 1 is cradled every night (used in BEDSIDE mode, Alarm Clock) and has NEVER been shut off (Except for a battery pull every so often) Battery still lasts all day with extensive use with no problems. My opinion, Go For It! 

P.S. My Storm will be 1 year old next month, and still operates like new.

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

I just wanted to thank those of you that tried to help me decide which Blackberry was right for me.  I was trying to hold out for my 2nd line renewal date to arrive in May so I didn't have to lose my New Every 2 credit but I can wait no longer so I have decided to go with curve 8530 since it's the least expensive newer blackberry.  It should arrive tomorrow so I will finally be able to say good-bye to the Omnia i910 and hello to blackberry :smileyvery-happy:.  Plus if it's not right for I can exchange it for the Tour or Storm2.

0 Likes