How many blackberry users out there think they should get the vz nav for free ?
jay27020

I was thinking like me I have a blackberry and I have unlimited everything and I would like to know why I don't get the vz nav for free. I think everyone with a blackberry with the unlimited plan should get the vz nav for free as part of the plain. How many of you blackberry users out there think the same thing ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How many blackberry users out there think they should get the vz nav for free ?
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

I think it should be free with the $29.99 data plan.  If you go droid you can get Google Maps free with VZW, so why not!

0 Likes
Re: How many blackberry users out there think they should get the vz nav for free ?
JMB
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can't you download and use Google maps for free? It may not give real-time navigation as a GPS looks but it locates you by the tower you are using (OK - that's only with 1/2 mile or so) and gives some directions and maps.

Haven't tried the Blackberry map feature yet (only 6 days with a BB so far). Is it of any use?

I do agree we should get more with our $29.99 data charge. Sprint gets unlimited minutes and unlimited data (and text maybe) for $69.99 total.

0 Likes
jay27020

I have google maps and also blackberry maps on my phone. Google maps has a turn by turn but thanks to google and Verizon and a contract the turn by turn has been blocked you have to buy the vz nav. I also have another free app. called LifeInPocket and its a free nav app. But it too dont show the rds. I got lost useing mapquest one day out on my motorcycle and well I used the blackberry maps to find my way home. But it sure would of been nice to know how far the next turn would of been. If they would give you free vz nav since you are paying to get everything unlimited then it would of been a lot of help. My big thing is I need to know how far the turns are and I would love to see the rds like with vz nav. I think if ppl go together they will start to give it to the blackberry users.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

VZ Navigator will never truly be free because it is a VZW proprietary application. They pay for Networks In Motion to develop and support the application, so of course they're going to charge a fee for it.

Now, that being said, there is some GOOD news. Starting in June VZ Nav 6.0 will be released and with it comes a limited FREE option. It'll be called VZ Maps and function very silmilar to the way Blackberry Maps works now.

With the free VZ Maps you will get to view your current position and perform local searches, 411 lookups, traffic conditions and STATIC directions. Static meaning it won't follow you along, it'll just give you a listing of your directions.

So, not too bad for FREE, but to get the full turn-by-turn directions you'll need to still pay for the subscription.

People should start getting alerts for the VZ Nav updates near the 2nd week in June.

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

I agree that customers paying the $29.99 Fee should get ALL data.  As far as Google Maps or Blackberry Maps, they will both give you the route to be viewed on the maps and will follow along with you if you choose "start GPS navigation"  Android has given it's customers free voice  turn-by-turn and I have heard that bing is also given the WinMo free voice turn-by-turn.  Sprint also pays for it's customers to have the their version of VZ Nav so there really is no reason that Verizon could not do the same.  But you get what you pay for.  I believe that RIM should be the one to offer the free voice navigation.

0 Likes
sincalljc

Don't be surprised if Verizon doesn't give you the VZ Navigator free. They are too busy trying to cut costs all over the place and trying to find ways to charge you more! I pay $250 a month for 5 phones and recently discovered the competition could offer it for dramatically less. I have been an Alltel/Verizon customer since Alltel's infancy but now can't wait for the end of my contract to start saving with a more innovative and competitive service!

0 Likes
asmall

Wouldent that be nice.

0 Likes
SQE

If you want the best of both worlds buy the " Garmin for Blackberry " software ( approximately $79 one time cost ). It works beutifully with my Storm 2 and there is no monthly fee. It is almost identical to the Garmin units.

0 Likes
ask4aj1

YEPPER, I THINK  VZ NAV SHOULD COME WITH BLACKBERRIES.

0 Likes