How to get data only on Blackberry (as 2nd phone) & voice + data on main phone
moxjr

Hello everyone, this is my first post here as I just got a Blackberry 9650 as my 2nd phone for work use only.

I am currently using an android HTC Thunderbolt w/450 minutes + 4G LTE unlimited data as my personal phone.

I want to add a plan for my Blackberry but I do not need voice on it, only e-mail (business enterprise).  I also want to keep my current android phone for personal use.

What is the best/most effective way to do this?  I went to the Verizon store this past week and they said it would cost $55 per month + tax for data only business enterprise on Blackberry?  They said the price increased and was cheaper before?  

Also just wanted to note that the 9650 was bought by myself so I would be paying month to month for the BB data/e-mail plan and not be in a contract.  The personal phone is locked in a contract though.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to get data only on Blackberry (as 2nd phone) & voice + data on main phone
rcschnoor
Legend

moxjr wrote:

Hello everyone, this is my first post here as I just got a Blackberry 9650 as my 2nd phone for work use only.

I am currently using an android HTC Thunderbolt w/450 minutes + 4G LTE unlimited data as my personal phone.

I want to add a plan for my Blackberry but I do not need voice on it, only e-mail (business enterprise).  I also want to keep my current android phone for personal use.

What is the best/most effective way to do this?  I went to the Verizon store this past week and they said it would cost $55 per month + tax for data only business enterprise on Blackberry?  They said the price increased and was cheaper before?  

Also just wanted to note that the 9650 was bought by myself so I would be paying month to month for the BB data/e-mail plan and not be in a contract.  The personal phone is locked in a contract though.

Thanks!

Not sure what you are asking here. You brought the phone into Verizon and they said what was available.

Are you asking for an alternative method?

0 Likes
Re: How to get data only on Blackberry (as 2nd phone) & voice + data on main phone
moxjr

Yes, I am asking if there is an alternative to paying $55 for business e-mail only on top of what I am currently paying for my personal phone.  

I did not see anywhere on the VZW website about the $55 amount (I searched through forum archives and saw people talking about the $45 charge).

I think if I add the $55 to my current plan, my monthly bill will be around $140-150, so just seeing if there are better options.  Thanks

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

How are you going to access your company's email?

You are able to set up multiple email accounts on a cellphone.

It seems that the cheapest way would be to see if you can access it on your personal phone via an email client without making any changes to your plan.

If so, there would be no need to carry around a separate phone.

edit: also no additional charge.

0 Likes
moxjr

Not sure I understand the question, but it will be either through Lotus Notes on my laptop or through the BlackBerry.  The IT folks at my company notified me that I will need to get the Business Enterprise service from the provider.

My company's e-mail does not support Android, which is the OS on my current phone.

It seems that the cheapest way would be to see if you can access it on your personal phone via an email client without making any changes to your plan.

Please see above

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Here are a couple of suggestions. Just get the personal data plan (less expensive) a then you can add the work email to the 9650. It is easier to do this than mess with IT policy, etc.

0 Likes
moxjr

SoccerRef, how do I go about doing this?  My company's IT has to setup my Blackberry once I receive it in order to get work e-mail.  If I'm not on enterprise business plan, how is this possible?

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3
If you can connect to your work email over the internet, you can connect via BIS. To set up BIS email on a 9650 with OS 6 you just enter your email address & password. BIS (which is the $35 personal version) goes out to the domain & connects to your email. Take your BB to the VZW store & tell them you want to sign up for BIS & have them hook up to your work email. If there are any issues (which I don't think there will be) you can cancel right then & there.
0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

moxjr wrote:

Not sure I understand the question, but it will be either through Lotus Notes on my laptop or through the BlackBerry.  The IT folks at my company notified me that I will need to get the Business Enterprise service from the provider.You say that your phone will need to be set up by your company IT folks and they have said that you will need the Business Enterprise service. Why are you asking to find another way if your IT folks won't set up your phone without it?

My company's e-mail does not support Android, which is the OS on my current phone.Your company's email doesn't have to support Android. Android is not an email protocol. Android uses pop and imap which are not specific to android, but are cross platform.

Please see above

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

moxjr wrote:

Yes, I am asking if there is an alternative to paying $55 for business e-mail only on top of what I am currently paying for my personal phone.  

I did not see anywhere on the VZW website about the $55 amount (I searched through forum archives and saw people talking about the $45 charge).  The BES (which is what you need, according to your IT people) is $45 a month.  The other $10 comes in because you are adding a line ($10) to your current plan, and will be sharing minutes with the Android.  The minutes will be available on either phone; if all you use is the Android for calls, that's fine.  If you need to use the BB for calls, that option is there. 

I think if I add the $55 to my current plan, my monthly bill will be around $140-150, so just seeing if there are better options.  Thanks The $10 to add a line and the $45 BES plan is the way you need to go, based on the information you have provided.

0 Likes