I am having huge data spikes since the last upgrade.
heatherp1

Used 1.5 gb out of my 2 gb in less than a week. I usually don't even use .25 gb a month. I have deleted the whole phone and started over since CS told me an app was constantly running but this was not a solution. Help please

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I am having huge data spikes since the last upgrade.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

heatherp1,

Help has arrived! While data usage can increases can vary by many different features on the device we'd love to help any way possible. How do you normally use your device? Do you use Wi-Fi whenever available? Was your previous device a 3G phone?

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
heatherp1

I use to mostly for Facebook and to check my E bay account. I have not changed my usage and I would say that I am an average to frequent user. I have had to shut off data and wifi all together and only use wifi or if I turn on the data, I use it for just a few minutes and rack up 11,000 or more data in just a 5-10 period (checking my messages or Facebook). I have had this phone for over a year with no issues until about 2 months ago (when I did the upgrade or at least right around that time). I erased the phone and re installed only the preinstalled apps and deleted all that I could after the install and still are having data issues. I don't remember if my old device was 3g or not since it has been so long. I have had VW for 15 years and I am very disappointed at customer service how could not help in any way when I did call.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

heatherp1,

Sorry to see there isn't a clear cause to the trouble you've had with the data usage. Without knowing what has been causing the data spike we can't stop it from happening. Let's start with making sure your software is up to date http://vz.to/1zEcLRv and use a data usage monitor to identify where the spike is coming from http://blck.by/1zEcFt6 . Once you see the source you can stop the unwanted data usage.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
heatherp1

I am updated and when I go to my app usage that is already on the phone the BB OS is having spikes around 9:15 am and pm the last 2 days (I have turned on the data to see if the phone is still spiking). 54% of the CPU usage of the phone. No other app is any where close (1% to 5%).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Heatherp1,

Help is right here! It definitely sounds like there is something running constantly in the background of your phone, but we are lacking details as to what that program is. Were you able to follow Brian's links to check and see which program is the offender?

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
heatherp1

Yes I downloaded Rogers-SmartUsage but all it tells me is how much data I am using not what is running. It has to be the OS or a preinstalled app (I deleted all that I could). There is nothing else on the phone.

0 Likes
Qtip3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had to turn off the LTE on my phone and family members phones.  The LTE eats up your data quick. Once LTE is off, phone reverts back to 3G.  i also turned offf any apps do not use.  When I am near Wi-Fi will use and turn off Cellular connection.  My Iphone 6 still uses more data with 3G compared to my old Iphone but nothing like the LTE.  I think this is something Verizon is doing to get people to buy more data.  Personal opinion. It is a scam like everything else. 

0 Likes
heatherp1

Unfortunately I tried to do this but on the BB Z10 Verizon does not give you the option to shut it off. So, with the problems I am having with this phone I will not be renewing my contract and will go else where. I have been with them for 15 years.

0 Likes
khaymon
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you have a Z10, there is a tool in App World called BlackBerry Virtual Expert, it is FREE and it will tell you exactly what is running in the background. Under the Device Monitor, there is a tab in the upper right corner that you can use to select from the current to the past 48 hours.

Also, beware of the Facebook app. It runs CONSTANTLY in the background even in the web browser.

0 Likes