Is data plan needed just for Outlook sync?
jcherin

Hi everyone,

I know that the question of whether you are required to have a data plan if you have a blackberry has been asked and answered several times as I have searched the forums for responses.

I am now writing my version of the question....and I will tell you why.

I needed a device that syncs with MS Outlook calendar...and is a good phone.  I can't afford $30 or $60 dollars for any additional plans but my work uses the Outlook calendar for everything.  I DON'T want email on my phone and I would love a device with browsing/wi-fi but I will let go of that.

I have been using a Samsung i760 for the past four months and basically....I hated it.  Poor design, slow OS, etc.  but it did sync with outlook.  Since I am on a month-month plan (until I know what phone I am using), I was nursing the phone along and looking forward to the Palm Pre coming in January....but not anymore....and now, the i760 is broken.

Which leads me back to needing a good phone that syncs with Outlook.

I have read that if I order the BB data plan and then cancel it, the phone will still work (and so would the direct sync with Outlook).

Has anyone done this....??

Any other suggestions?

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is data plan needed just for Outlook sync?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.  It sounds like maybe the Blackberry is not for you.  After looking at what Verizon offers, I think your needs would best be covered by the Motorola Entice W766 seen here.  It should be able to sync with Outlook with a third party software.  It does not have WiFi; for that you would need a smartphone such as the Blackberry or one of the Windows Mobile based PDA phones.  As far a getting a Blackberry plan and dropping it, I don't think your Blackberry would work on Verizon's network without it.  Your phone would be basically a brick with no service.  I suggest looking online and then going into one of the Verizon stores.  Good luck with your purchase.

Doc

0 Likes
Re: Is data plan needed just for Outlook sync?
Butthead
Contributor - Level 2

Hi. All Blackberry devices require a data plan. It is not possible to activate a Blackberry without one or to remove the data plan as it is tied to the device esn by the billing system.

All Verizon PDA/Smartphones released after November 2008 require a data plan. The i760 does not. whether or not a device has wifi is not relevant for data plans. As a matter of fact, all carriers are beginning to require data plans on PDAs and Blackberry devices.

0 Likes